Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I pew pew lazors

Rear Intake + Options

Forgive my ignorance with these questions - I've never modded before lol.

Anyhow, if I throw a Riva rear intake on my 05 RXP does this completely eliminate the need of an intercooler? If so, which is better? Rear intake or intercooling? Also, does it have any drawbacks? i.e. rolling the ski, etc?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by peebee View Post
    Forgive my ignorance with these questions - I've never modded before lol.

Anyhow, if I throw a Riva rear intake on my 05 RXP does this completely eliminate the need of an intercooler? If so, which is better? Rear intake or intercooling? Also, does it have any drawbacks? i.e. rolling the ski, etc?
    No it does not.

The rear intake is just for the supercharger to get more and cooler air. But it has it's drawbacks like intaking water. If you are a heavy ocean rider and like to jump waves and such I wouldn't recommend it. I installed one one my ski and rode it one day in the ocean and noticed some salt water inside the tubing already. If you ride in lakes it's not that bad.

And yeah, if you roll the ski there is definitely the possiblility of getting water in there, but then again there is also that chance with a front mounted intake.

My suggestions if you ride in the ocean and like wave jumping is to go with a 4" Kanaflex ran to the front of the ski with a Spectre filter off autozone or any car parts should have it.

+1
    Here's a link to the kanaflex suppliers...good luck.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=71434

I pew pew lazors
    Thanks for the info. I haven't ever rode in the ocean and I honestly don't plan on it. At least not any time in the near future and by the time I do I'll probably have another ski (wife wants her own)

I guess I'm not quite understanding the entire setup of the air intake. I think where I have it wrong is where the intercooler sits. From some unknown reason I thought it was placed pre-supercharger. But after reading your post it only makes sense to place the intercooler post-supercharger / pre-throttle body, correct? i.e. intercooler is still recommended but the rear intake adds additional cooling pre-supercharger. A double whammy cooling effort.

Thanks for the link.

+1
    Yeah but the reason the the rear air intake is not entirely for the cold air, it's also because the supercharger is able to breath or draw air more freely.

Also, if you do go with the Rear air setup i would recommend some flo-rites to let some engine heat out.

And how it works is:

-Stock intercooler: Air gets sucked into your supercharger, goes out and in through your throttle body into your intake manifold(This is where the stock intercooler is located) It gets cooled there somewhat and into your engine.

-Aftermarket or XS intercooler: Air into supercharger, the out and into your external intercooler, goes out of your intercooler into your throttlebody and into your intake manifold and engine.

I pew pew lazors
    Quote Originally Posted by ImAShark View Post
    Yeah but the reason the the rear air intake is not entirely for the cold air, it's also because the supercharger is able to breath or draw air more freely.

Also, if you do go with the Rear air setup i would recommend some flo-rites to let some engine heat out.

And how it works is:

-Stock intercooler: Air gets sucked into your supercharger, goes out and in through your throttle body into your intake manifold(This is where the stock intercooler is located) It gets cooled there somewhat and into your engine.

-Aftermarket or XS intercooler: Air into supercharger, the out and into your external intercooler, goes out of your intercooler into your throttlebody and into your intake manifold and engine.
    Ah! I didn't know the stock intercooler was in the intake manifold. Looking up the parts on the OEM parts finder I recognize the hose fittings now though.

Sounds like rear air with an external intercooler is the way to go. The whole idea of an internal intercooler (surrounded by a hot engine) makes me facepalm.

Ahhh, don't be too hard on SeaDoo, a lot of Supercharger applications in cars have water cooled intercoolers right on the intake manifold and they make BIG power. For example the Supercharged Mustang Cobras make better than 500 horse with this kind of setup.

+1

Red face

dont forget as you add power you need to give it more fuel

I pew pew lazors
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbtd View Post
    dont forget as you add power you need to give it more fuel
    I was thinking exactly that. Do you suspect adding the rear intake and the XS intercooler would require 42 lb. injectors?

+1
    not with the stock supercharger.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information