XL1200 LTD oil block off

OK every ski i own (4) i have done the oil block off pretty simple however my 99 XL 1200 LTD looks different, instead of the oil lines going from the pump to all 3 carbs the 3 oil lines go from the oil pump into a small pump at the end of the carbs
    i think this is the variable rate oil pump? am i right?. so can i just disconnect the 3 lines from this pump and cap them off or what,also what is the correct oil ratio, some have said 32:1 others 40:1...? i plan on draining the oil tank, zip tying the sender, removing and blocking off the pump but leaving all the stuff inside in case the next owner wants to change it back to oil inject,not like extra weight is an issue for this big couch

+1

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by klinn9 View Post
    OK every ski i own (4) i have done the oil block off pretty simple however my 99 XL 1200 LTD looks different, instead of the oil lines going from the pump to all 3 carbs the 3 oil lines go from the oil pump into a small pump at the end of the carbs
    i think this is the variable rate oil pump? am i right?. so can i just disconnect the 3 lines from this pump and cap them off or what,also what is the correct oil ratio, some have said 32:1 others 40:1...? i plan on draining the oil tank, zip tying the sender, removing and blocking off the pump but leaving all the stuff inside in case the next owner wants to change it back to oil inject,not like extra weight is an issue for this big couch
    That's not the oil lines that is the accelerator pump on the rear carb. and the 3 lines going to the carbs.

thanks jims preformance

Ahhhhh yes you are right on closer exam the 3 lines do go to the carbs
    thanks guys

+1
    The correct oil ratio you use will depend on what oil you use as well as what you use your boat for.

The stock systems for later model yamahas run a variable ratio oil injection. I believe that at wide open throttle the ratio is about 30 or 32:1 (i.e. if you were to run a stocker boat wide open all the time then you should be OK oil wise). The rate is much less at idle... I think 50:1. The 50:1 ratio helps to reduce the smoke generated while idleing.

Many racers who are in a race mode virtually every time they sit on the seat premix at 32:1. (Racers don't spend a lot of time idleing).

If you are a cruiser, 40:1 is a good ratio. I've put my boat in many races at 40:1, but use a high quality synthetic oil (Amsoil) with no issues.

The real issue is that once you decide upon a ratio, stick with it. Here's a potential problem: If you run you craft at 40:1 for instance, then decide to go 32:1, you will have plenty of oil, but not enough fuel in your mixture and could (theoriticly) lean out your engine.... you would have to re adjust your carbs.

Hope this helps explain.

Thread Information