Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    I wish my Camaro had Skis!

Angry Clueless Throttle Response - No Fix from Kawi

I've been searching through all the great knowledge on the boards and haven't been able to find a resolution to my problem, so here it goes.

Purchased an 08 250 Ultra LX Crate Ski from the Dealer - ZERO hours - last week. Took her out to the lake with the kids for some fun, and sorta enjoyed it - they had a blast of course.

After the 3rd hour or so, I took it out on the lake myself to open it up some. It just didn't have the pep I have heard about while I was toying with the kids on the tube, so I needed to feel the power, ya know.

Sooo I get out in the middle of the lake, cruisin around 40ish, and go WoT = Bog Down!!!???? Wow, nothing!! So I feathered back on the trigger a bit and she picks back up to 54 steady and held it, tried to give her some gas slowly this time, and she Bogs-Down!!!! Again!!! Ya know how the timing on the old Mustangs would be off, and you give it gas and she'd stutter and loose power? Like that!

OK, so now I am really mad, sittin in the lake with $9K bouy between my legs!!

So I turn it off, pull the key - yup it's the Orange one, ok let's try it again. Same issue. Finally I catch up with my buddy who has a tweaked 07 Ultra that rox 73, and tell him to take mine for a spin. Took him 2 minutes and he was like WTF!? I got on his and was like HELL YEAH! He says it's gotta be sparkplugs. It is an 08 after all and I bought it yesterday he says - so ok cool, np - warranty will take care of this.

Dropped her off Monday morning for eval/repair - well here it is Friday night and I AM NOT ON THE LAKE!

DJ the mechanic (cool guy BTW) says he has been talking with Kawi on the phone trying to get it all ironed out. Wednesday he put in new spark plugs and cleaned up the SC Belt like Kawi said, took it back out to the lake - Same Response! Bogs-Down upon acceleration from 45+ and up! Initial acceleration produces around 8psi max DJ tells me. (I never looked at the psi boost)

Mechanics eval: No Codes, no fouled plugs, SC looks good, no vacuum leaks - ????

Owners eval: I want a new one!

Do you have a 250X or LX ?
    Check the air trumpet in the ar box, make sure it did'nt come loose.
    your BOV might be leaking BAD

Quote Originally Posted by jmatak9 View Post
    Do you have a 250X or LX ?
    Check the air trumpet in the ar box, make sure it did'nt come loose.
    your BOV might be leaking BAD
    - Owners manual says Ultra LX on it
    - Title says Series/Model JT1500B8F
    - VIN Series: US-KAW42xxxK708

She's still at the Dealership, but I will be discussing the details with the Sales Manager tomorrow. Then I should get a chance to go back to the shop and speak with the technician.

yo im still a newbie but dude it looks like u got a ultra lx not a 250...im pretty sure 54-57 is gonna be your top speed...im not 100% on that

+1
    tell em to check all the hoses from the sc and the ic. what rpms was it doing at wot and what does the rpms do when it bogs down, do they just drop out, or fluctuate.

but warranty is your friend. if it had no hours on it, its been sitting still for a long time so could be lots of things.

Quote Originally Posted by BASEBALLMAN View Post
    yo im still a newbie but dude it looks like u got a ultra lx not a 250...im pretty sure 54-57 is gonna be your top speed...im not 100% on that
    it it has a belt that the mechanic checked then its a 250x. They probably gave him the wrong owners manual.

Look at the big stickers on the side of the ski. It should say 250x.

This could be any number of things but it sounds like you are not getting full boost. I guess a loose air intake hose. Check all clamps from front airbox all the way back to the throttle body. Block BOV as mentioned. If not these things then could be fuel related (bad injector?).

+ 1 +1

Quote Originally Posted by Red08Ultra250 View Post
    it it has a belt that the mechanic checked then its a 250x. They probably gave him the wrong owners manual.

This could be any number of things but it sounds like you are not getting full boost. I guess a loose air intake hose. Check all clamps from front airbox all the way back to the throttle body. Block BOV as mentioned. If not these things then could be fuel related (bad injector?).

Quote Originally Posted by Red08Ultra250 View Post

Yeah, the mechanic played with the belt and I know it has an SC in it - don't remember the stickers saying 250X, but I know it has the SC/IC sticker on the cowl. Also found out they ran some injector cleaner through it thursday night, hoping for more info today.

Now that the dealership has made me look like a 40 yr old idiot by not knowing WTF I bought - we are having words today! Yeah ok, I'm new to a new Ski purchase, but this is getting ridiculous.

Thanks for the tips all. It's raining out today anyway, so that should cool me off before I get to their shop. Maybe that will even save their ass-chewing a little, for a smaller scar.

if this is happening when you go WOT, sounds like your belt is slipping as mentioned earlier! hopefully its something minor like that.

or bad gas. with ethanol!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information