Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry adding a gas gauge to a 93 650 sl

I have a 94 650 thats has a bad crank it came with a gas gauge, I want to add the gas gauge and sending unit to a 93 650 sl and probably throw in a fuel water seperater, Does anybody know if this can be done? and better yet if anyone has ever done this conversion? Iam not sure if it will be able to be pulled off as there may not be anything in the electrical box that I can use, I love the ski but being out on Lake St. Clair with out a gas gauge really sucks!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    The 93 650 had a couple less than desireable things that the 94 didn't. 1 being the jet pump, and the other being the elec box.

Why not swap the good 93 engine into the 94 hull?

The 93 elec box won't really accomodate the fuel gauge. IF you swap the 94 elec system into the 93, it will work.

And if you do that, I would also swap the 94 jet pump onto the 93. Although you will need to align the engine.

And if you don't want to do either of those, you should have a reserve on that ski, correct? You can just cruise back to the docks when you hit reserve. Don't run WOT as that consumes more fuel than just a normal cruising speed.

I was worried about the electrical box having enough terminals, I know theres a spot on the gas tank for a sending unit, there is no hull for the 94 I bought a whole ski minus the hull which had been smashed, couldnt pass up the deal as every thing else is there! Sore would love a gauge though! if I knew the box off of the 94 was good I would maybe consider changing it! Thats one thing I could never figure out is why the 93s never even had a gas gauge? I love mine but WTF? So it almost sounds like because of the electrical box adding any thing wll proably not happen?

+1
    I'm not totally accustomed to the 92-93 elec box. So I can't say for sure....

But it doesn't look like it.

Swap out the 94 box and you can have a gauge. Hell, I can even sell you a round MFD that would work. Then you can have a fuel gauge, oil gauge, tachometer, volt meter, and clock.

actually have one of those! would love to put that in but I know theres no freaking way thats going to work! LOL Would love it! The way I see it the more info the better! I can run it by my buddy what do you want for it and does it come with all the sending units? he probably wont want it as moneys real tight for him but you never know?

+1
    I'll do $75 for the MFD and harness. Sorry, no sending units.

Like I said, if you swap the 94 elec box for the 93, you CAN install the MFD.

I did it on her old 94 650 that I converted to a 750.

What did you bo with the stator wiring? Butt connecters? i almost wonder if theres a way of just pulling out the terminal board and leaving every thing intact? also my fuel switch is in the front panel, I wanted to pull out that put it in the side about where the 94s and up are except there no indent in the body for it any suggestions? I will run it by my buddy but knowing him and not having a job he wont do it! hes not into the stuff like alot of us guys! LOL

+1
    Not quite following you about the stator wiring??? But I think you mean the 93 uses different connectors than the 94 and newer. If that's what you mean, just cut and replace the terminal connectors to the right ones.

What's wrong with the petcock on the dash panel?

Nothing wrong but the gauge would be great right there my petcock is mounted right next to the choke pull, on thr 94s and later i have seen them installed there! seems like a great Idea, right in front of you!

My 93 has a fuel guage just thought Id through that out there.Nate

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information