Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WD-40

WD-40

Hey guys, a few days ago a friend of a fellow firefighter stopped by my house to check out my gp1200r, he says he has been working on boats/skis since the 90's, one thing he told me to always do after each ride to spray the whole engine compartment with WD-40, he says it is good for it. Can anybody verify this? I ran it today and it did 63 all day

NO
    WD40 absorbs moisture...use a better protection ie: Fluid film, Boeshield T9, CRC56...
    The search feature here should reveal some more products...

if anyone remembers WD40 was used under the caps of distributors to wash off condensation so the vehicle would start. and for your household squeaky hinge...

+1
    use silicon spray or marineguard instead of wd40, but yes...use something, especially if not using the ski on regular basis

I thought WD 40 repels water http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

Quote Originally Posted by testle View Post
    I thought WD 40 repels water http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40
    yes, it will force moisture out of the way. But when sprayed and allowed to sit, it absorbs moisture, another words I wouldn`t be spraying down my cylinders with it for storage... could it be used, sure but there are more specific, better products out there...
    people should also note that some sprays/chemicals can damage rubber hoses... just read the labels and research what your buying...

Quote Originally Posted by Autosport View Post
    use silicon spray or marineguard instead of wd40, but yes...use something, especially if not using the ski on regular basis
    Well I have had it out 1-2 even 3 times a week since I got it about a month ago. The guy said spray it on everything, anything that moves, cables, etc, even the nozzle moving parts.

+1
    I was told the same by a mechanic that works on my ski. Get some CRC marine in a spary bottle and go to town especially if you ride in salt water. It wount hurt anything my engine bay is spotless not a hint of rust.

My ski always works sometimes... griffin55's Avatar
    +1
    which CRC marine spray to you use? Corrosion inhibitor or one of these : http://marineengineparts.com/shopsit...l/page275.html

do you just spray down everything in the engine compartment? and let it sit?

Quote Originally Posted by griffin55 View Post
    which CRC marine spray to you use? Corrosion inhibitor or one of these : http://marineengineparts.com/shopsit...l/page275.html

do you just spray down everything in the engine compartment? and let it sit?
    He lit the whole engine compartment up with WD-40, the whole engine, left nothing to spare.

+1
    CRC-556, WD has solvent in it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information