Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: N.C. New law

+1

Angry N.C. New law

Hey, get this. As of may 1 anyone under the age of 26 has to go thru a boating saftey class that cost 55 dollars to drive a watercraft. Were did they come with the age under 26? Already got my daughter and son signed up but this B.S. 150 dollar fine if you do not have training I.D. card Our states out money so they keep sucking it out of the working man!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDJETSKIMAN View Post
    Hey, get this. As of may 1 anyone under the age of 26 has to go thru a boating saftey class that cost 55 dollars to drive a watercraft. Were did they come with the age under 26? Already got my daughter and son signed up but this B.S. 150 dollar fine if you do not have training I.D. card Our states out money so they keep sucking it out of the working man!
    We already have the same thing in Michigan, but its if you were born after 197? I hear you about the 26 thing, thats a weird number to come up with, but I think the safety class is a good thing

That sucks. But good to be safe. Here in Virginia you could ride a ski by your self at age 14 if you owned it. I'm not sure if it is still that way I need to check my laws again

+1
    Youjustlost----Which one are you in your avatar? robin?

I'm going on lake saint clair today. cmon out there by selfridge! Howell is a lil cruise but its gonna be 88 today/

Yeah I took that boating course a long time ago. its really helpful and enlightening to people that are clueless to the rules of the water.. I think we had to pay something way back when ,, cant remember.. Dad took us! lol we had a 30ft crisscraft."connie" Sweet boat.

When Must I Get My Boating Safety Certificate? The requirement for boating safety education is phased-in over several years according to the following schedule:
    PWC operators 20 years of age or younger shall meet the requirements by July 1, 2009;
    PWC operators 35 years of age or younger shall meet the requirements by July 1, 2010;
    PWC operators 50 years of age or younger and motorboat operators 20 years of age or younger shall meet the requirements by July 1, 2011;
    All PWC operators, regardless of age, and motorboat operators 30 years of age or younger shall meet the requirements by July 1, 2012;
    Motorboat operators 40 years of age or younger shall meet the requirements by July 1, 2013;
    Motorboat operators 45 years of age or younger shall meet the requirements by July 1, 2014;
    Motorboat operators 50 years of age or younger shall meet the requirements by July 1, 2015;
    All motorboat operators, regardless of age, shall meet the requirements by July 1, 2016. I need look at this in greater detail on my computer but if this is true I need an exam by July 1st since I'm only 27. Is this just for new pwc users or all. Any other virginians out there?

+1
    New York went thru this same thing a few years ago phasing in at age 32, then finally all operators of pwc. I think its a good idea, education can only help our safety and image.

Many people don't realize it, but turning left to avoid a collision is almost universally wrong, and can make you liable for any damage incurred. There are a dozen other little navigation rules that you will be held to in an incident, whether the operator is aware of them or not. These are the details a good boater safety course can provide.

I can't comment on other states, but in NY at least there is a free program thru the dept of Parks and recreation. You can also take a USCG Auxiliary course, or one of the commercially available ones. Some states accept the online courses too, but many (NY CT NJ ) do not.

Our only exceptions are for law enforcement and holders of a Captains license, also issued by the USCG.

up here in the great white north it is 16 yrs of age to operate anything on the water with a motor ( use to be anything under 12 ft ) , and only if you have a valid pleasure craft operators card . this is for all people . i got mine last year , and it teaches you nothing about safe operation of pwc , boats . it is more about on water procedures, marker bouys , right of ways , etc.....and then it really only applies to large water ways . nothing like our small land locked lakes . potential 250.00 fine if caught operating a motor vesell with out one of these cards or being under age .

funny thing is , i talked with our local dnr ( dept of natural resourses ) they are resposible for patrolling our lakes and water ways in sask , and he could care less. he said it is a federal program , and he dosn't have time to stop everyone drivng a boat or pwc to check for the card . he has a hard enough time trying to catch people fishing illegally .
    he also went on to say .

i think that just the fact that you have to have it may be enough of a deterent to keep the yahoo's off the water !!
    cost .....85 bucks to go to the 4 hr class .

just another money grab buy our gov't .

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    In OH, no one under 16 without an adult can operate a ski.

Although. we don't even require any training. Just recommend it.

Their reasoning is, cars require a drivers license and STILL have accidents.

But I'm sure they'll be doing something similar soon, just for the $$$$$.

+1
    Irony here: boaters over 18 need no boater safety card. But pwc'ers of any age do!

In NY minimum pwc age is 14 but I expect that age to change to 16 soon too.

This is my underlying reason for my jetmate project. ..

Education is a good thing, but I hate that I believe that there is always someone in it just to make a profit with a nice little legal justification.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information