stock grate coming unhooked, R&D?

I was out last night on my '09 RXP-X with 11 hours on the clock. We were in good chop and my completly stock ski was coming unhooked like crazy. My question is will the R&D grate keep me hooked up better then the stocker? And will it give be better hole shot then the stocker? I've read that i may have to pitch my stock prop with the R&D grate? is that true? I was running between 8040 and 8060 RMPS at WOT.

Chris

Banned User
    +1
    cant vouch for the R&D cc grate ( i assume if you want more hook up thats what you plan on getting) but the 1st version R&D grate which everyone use's for speed and to hopefully avoid the "buck" i hated in even mild chop. way worse for hookup IMO. on flat water its a different story, by far the only grate i would go w/ if flat is all i rode. currently i have the worx on my ski and am very pleased w/ its hookup in the chop

I just installed this grate on my ski and I like it alot. I ordered the original one not the CC one they have. I would say hole shot is slightly less than the stock grate but by no means bad at all. It def doesnt stay hooked up as good as the stock grate in chop but it will yield more top end thats for sure. My ski only has 4 hours on it. My first trip out with the stock grate I was only seeing around 8020 RPMs max. I contribute this to the ski being not fully broken in My second trip out with the R&D grage the ski was turning over 8100 RPMs fairly easy. Air temp and water were both higher so some of the gain had to come from the grate alone. Im not about top speed or anything so I didnt to to many WOT runs to see where the RPMs were. I do feel the R&D makes the ski more fun. There were a few boats out and I found the ski getting air alot easier than with the stock grate. This could be my imagination but I also think the ski gets better fuel economy with the R&D. It seemed like I was able to ride longer than my first trip out.

would the Worx give better Hole shot? Top speed isn't really an issue with me....however hole shot, rough water hook-up, and fuel economy is. what do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman1998 View Post
    would the Worx give better Hole shot? Top speed isn't really an issue with me....however hole shot, rough water hook-up, and fuel economy is. what do you guys think?

I have no experience with the Worx but from what I have read its exactly what you want. From just about every thread I have read on it people maintained stock hook up while still gaining 1-2 on the big end. Problem is finding one of these to order. They seem to be on back order.

+1
    You should not have issues with stock x grate coming unhooked.
    Trim down and move your body weight too suit, and you should be able to keep pump loaded.
    YOu need more then 11 hours of finding the right riding style on X. You will not get any better hookup with other grates over the X OEM grate, that thing is a brake.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman1998 View Post
    Fuel economy?...from a grate?...nope...not gonna happen....in fact...I'd be thinking that a grate which enables a better hole shot...or hook-up in the chop will be a detriment to gas milage.

Ya finding a worx grate is pretty much impossible for it....just wondering if
    did get a worx grate would the prop need to be re-pitched? (all stock set up)
    or will it run fine?

Thread Information