Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Gas in Oil Metal in filter

Well It happened to me! 2009 260X 20 hours still under warrantee, How should I approach the dealer with this?

Link to oil sample

Oh and there's a tick in the top end as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3441.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	193298   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3440.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	193299   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3438.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	193300  

How many prior oil changes before you discovered this?

+1
    First oil change. Manual says every 50 hrs or each year whichever comes first

I would just take the oil and the filter to them to have analized. Not sure if you have any damage but the oil sure looks thin. Just as a back up you may to consider sending a sample to have tested yourself just in case Kawi comes back and says it looks fine. My 2007 Ultra tested 6% fuel which I was told was acceptable. Yours looks a lot thinner than mine did.

+1
    where can I get it tested?
    What about the metal in the filter and the tappit noise

You can send the oil to blackstone labs. www.blackstone-labs.com. It cost about $20 but atleast you would know the amount of fuel dilution. As for the filter it's not abnormal to have a very small amount of shavings in the filter on your first oil change. Still probably worth showing the dealer though. Not sure about the tappet noise, the dealer will have to determine that.

Thinking back, my first oil change, at 10 hours, seemed to have some fuel in it. But after changing, it seemed ok. Could be that some fuel got by the rings during the break in. But I would do as said above and have it tested to keep for your records. Have the dealer look at it and document in writing, so they cant say you never told them, but i doubt they will have an answer.
    What I would do is, do an oil change, and change it again after a few hours to flush out any metal that might still be in there. Then just keep a close eye on the oil levels to see if it is rising from fuel again.
    And hopefully you have the Extended Warranty. Its worth it for these machines. They can be bought for just over $600 if you shop around.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Red08Ultra250 View Post
    Thinking back, my first oil change, at 10 hours, seemed to have some fuel in it. But after changing, it seemed ok. Could be that some fuel got by the rings during the break in. But I would do as said above and have it tested to keep for your records. Have the dealer look at it and document in writing, so they cant say you never told them, but i doubt they will have an answer.
    What I would do is, do an oil change, and change it again after a few hours to flush out any metal that might still be in there. Then just keep a close eye on the oil levels to see if it is rising from fuel again.
    And hopefully you have the Extended Warranty. Its worth it for these machines. They can be bought for just over $600 if you shop around.
    Where should I shop? The extended warranty from the dealer is close to 900.00 I guess I should buy one before I take it to the dealer?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gregt909 View Post
    You can send the oil to blackstone labs. www.blackstone-labs.com. It cost about $20 but atleast you would know the amount of fuel dilution. As for the filter it's not abnormal to have a very small amount of shavings in the filter on your first oil change. Still probably worth showing the dealer though. Not sure about the tappet noise, the dealer will have to determine that.

Thanks for the info I just ordered a test kit from them.

I think I'm going to run it a little bit (5 hours or so) and pull the oil and cut open the filter again to see if I get any more metal. Dose this sound like a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Motohead View Post
    Where should I shop? The extended warranty from the dealer is close to 900.00 I guess I should buy one before I take it to the dealer?

St. Louis Powersports, my friend got it for Just over $600
    http://www.stlouispowersports.com/index.htm

You can buy it anytime before your factory warranty expires.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information