Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aauuggghhh.

lean hole in#1

Guys, help me out here. 1200 XLT [03] w/ 82 hrs. I sent the head off to Jim to cut...Great guy! I see #3 is starting to score and compression was 105 with 135 on 1 and 2 with the new head. Installed new pro x [c] in all 3 cyls with a light hone to cut the glaze. All new gaskets. Installed tiny tach to tune. Went out today to seat the rings and it cut out 4 times like i pulled the kill switch. It fires right back up and 5 min later, repeat. 20 min later BOOM. Limped it back in and brought it home. Beutiful dime size hole in the brand new # 1 piston. WTF!!!! that cyl was runnin sweet before Mr Goodwrench here thought to redo the top end. I'll get some pics posted 2morro as I'm chillin out now lookin at FZR's. Any insight from the clan here would be greatly appreciated. I believe there are 2 issues here.:evil::-k#-o:smt100:smt119
    Last edited by diggerddog; 06-15-2010 at 03:48 PM. Reason: no responses

+1
    Sorry to hear bro. Post up some pics. Did the ski run good before? Did you pressure test the motor??

I'll do the head in the am. post some pics. don't know how to do a p test but that cyl was runnin great when i replaced the piston. good wash and compression. i love my smoker but damn, more maintenence than being married. did the fercho rejetting last fall with primer kit, killed the accel pump. flame arrestors. oil pump blockoff with interceptor @ 32:1. d plate w/ chip. R&D intake grate w/ pump seal kit. and Carl @ Island just redid a new destroyer impeller to 12/20. Didnt even get to put that on today. 1 mod @ a time right?

Quote Originally Posted by diggerddog View Post
    damn, more maintenence than being married.
    Ditto that!
    You could have an issue on how you install the head back.

pics to post

i got to pull the head this morning and take some pics. Any idea what happened in the 18 minutes it was running? It sounded good til it popped 1st pic is piston @ tdb and 5th is tdc. 3rd is # 2 and 4th is #3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	193404   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	193405   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	193406   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	193407   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	193408  

It looks like i scored the #1 cyl.Its not huge, about a 1" long scrape but its definately thru the nikasil. Should i repair it or does anyone have a cyl they want to part with. Still don't know what caused this but someone here will help me out.

anyone? any thoughts? even smart ass comments?

+1
    Well, judging by the pics you were running extremely lean on #1. You probably detonated it. What does the underside of the head look like? Any pin holes all over the chamber?

XLTNoob
    fullboogie, what do the pin holes mean if they are present?

EDIT: Re-read the previous post. Looks like the pin holes become apparent when the cylinder has detonated.

diggerddog: How in the Effing Ell did you get the head off without removing the exaust stinger?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    fullboogie, what do the pin holes mean if they are present?

Deto, usually apparent in the head squish band area

EDIT: Re-read the previous post. Looks like the pin holes become apparent when the cylinder has detonated.

diggerddog: How in the Effing Ell did you get the head off without removing the exaust stinger?

easiest to loosten the stinger bolts and push it over to clear a couple of the head bolts
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8687

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information