Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Water Ingestion :(

I'm driving home right now after a good day of riding. When I was coming back to trailer my ski I noticed I was only getting 7600 RPM's. I am fairly certain I injected water thru my rear air intake cause I was out jumping waves and I bogged down a few times while I was out riding in the surf. When I get home I'm going to pull the intake manifold and remove any excess water left in there. What else do I need to do to get my power back? I ran it wide open all the way to the ramp (about 7 miles) to try and flush anything out. I was still getting between 8-9 lbs of boost @7600 so its not the charger slipping. Thanks in advance for the replies.

+1
    check the oil to see if it's milky. change it until it's not. change the plugs. fresh fuel wouldn't hurt. hope and pray that you didn't bend any rods.

The oil wasn't milky at all and it runs and idles like normal so I wouldn't think I bent a rod. My RPM's are just low is the only things I notice. It was pulling 69.1 at 7600 so if I get the revs back I think it should be running like normal. Anything else I should check? I'm not cavitating at all so I don't think it has to do with the pump but I'll check it anyways when I get home

Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post
    check the oil to see if it's milky. change it until it's not. change the plugs. fresh fuel wouldn't hurt. hope and pray that you didn't bend any rods.
    This Exactly. Change the oil to try and get the water out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachb01 View Post
    This Exactly. Change the oil to try and get the water out.
    I think the amount of water ingested was very small. The oil looks normal. I think just a little spray got back in the intake and it sucked it in causing the engine to sputter momentarily but it never died or ran poorly for more than a couple seconds.

+1
    did you notice that the RPMs were higher than 7600 right before the incident? if it runs fine, and has no 'permanent' water ingestion issues like a bent rod or crappy plugs, your problem must be elsewhere. it may be possible that the intercooler is leaking, causing your low rpms, bogging, but not total failure (yet).

I just got home and pulled the intake and it was clean. The only thing I noticed that made me believe I ingested water was I can off a wave (nothing big only about 2 ft) and when I landed the motor sputtered for a couple seconds then started running as normal again. I rode for a while longer then went out and swam a little. After that I got back on the ski and took off. I spun it around and did a 180 after which it sputtered again making me think there was a little residual water in the intake manifold and it sucked it up again. After that I thought to check the RPM's and noticed they were down I never checked them earlier in the day so I don't have anything to compare off of. Last time I rode it they were at 8050 but the temperature was 15* cooler. Is that change in temp enough to rob 400 RPM's?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbretz View Post
    I just got home and pulled the intake and it was clean. The only thing I noticed that made me believe I ingested water was I can off a wave (nothing big only about 2 ft) and when I landed the motor sputtered for a couple seconds then started running as normal again. I rode for a while longer then went out and swam a little. After that I got back on the ski and took off. I spun it around and did a 180 after which it sputtered again making me think there was a little residual water in the intake manifold and it sucked it up again. After that I thought to check the RPM's and noticed they were down I never checked them earlier in the day so I don't have anything to compare off of. Last time I rode it they were at 8050 but the temperature was 15* cooler. Is that change in temp enough to rob 400 RPM's?
    Maybe your tops is going out.

Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    Maybe your tops is going out.
    That's the sensor on the throttle body right? I guess I could swap the one from my other ski and see if that fixes it. How many RPM's do most people lose due to heat? I had been riding the ski for a long time and at a decent speed. Will it being heat soaked drop the RPM's much? I am still running a stock thermostat. I didn't really know if I was modded enough to benefit much from changing it. I'm just trying to figure out if the change in weather could make me lose 400 RPM's

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbretz View Post
    That's the sensor on the throttle body right? I guess I could swap the one from my other ski and see if that fixes it. How many RPM's do most people lose due to heat? I had been riding the ski for a long time and at a decent speed. Will it being heat soaked drop the RPM's much? I am still running a stock thermostat. I didn't really know if I was modded enough to benefit much from changing it. I'm just trying to figure out if the change in weather could make me lose 400 RPM's
    I would have to look at fishce to see exact location on your 05 ski.

You can loose 100 rpm for ever 1,000 ft or RAD.
    You could easily loose 400 rpm from winter to summer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information