Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Too many toys, not enough time snoopy'sbitch's Avatar

96 xp wont turn over, high compression

Hey everyone, just throwing a stupid question out there for you guys. I have a 96 xp. t always ran good, so a year ago I threw on an r&d performance head. Compression was around 200 psi per hole, and starter had no problem spinning her over. The purple pipe at some point cracked at the bung welds and flooded her. I took out the plugs, spinned her over to get the water out, and sprayed seadoo lube in the carbs for 10 min to lub it all up. I parked it, and just recently had time to fiddle.
    After sinking it, it wouldnt spin over with the plugs. I assumed the starter was weak, and replaced it, after all it was submerged, and pretty nasty. I put a used (I have a spare xp parts machine)starter out of an xp, that I assume was ok. The parts xp has a new engine in it, and starter spun that engine ok. Without the plugs in it, it spins strong. If I put my finger over one hole it definetly slows.
    My question is, do you guys running higher comression heads use better starters, or should the stock one be ok. Thanks in advance, Mark

It sounds to me like you still have water (or some non-compressible liquid) in your crankcase. Pulling the plugs and spining the engine will not always get the water out. Try pulling the head, insert a piece of 1/8" weed-eater fuel line down the rear transfer ports and suck out the remaining liquid. With a 200# secondary compression head, it does not take much liquid in the base to hydrolock the engine.

Really? That cant be good after a year of sitting. When I am spinning it with no plugs, i dont see anything coming out of the spark plug holes. You may be absolutely right, but i would think that it would spit the water out. When spinning engine without plugs, all i get is air, so i dont think there is anything that cant be compressed. I was almost gonna change the head to original to see if it would spin it over normal. I dont think it will. Maybe its just a bad starter

+1
    did you check the battery to see if it was weak??

I am actually jumping it from my truck with jumper cables, directly to the stater. I should have mentioned that

been around the block Stagesrt4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy'sbitch View Post
    Really? That cant be good after a year of sitting. When I am spinning it with no plugs, i dont see anything coming out of the spark plug holes. You may be absolutely right, but i would think that it would spit the water out. When spinning engine without plugs, all i get is air, so i dont think there is anything that cant be compressed. I was almost gonna change the head to original to see if it would spin it over normal. I dont think it will. Maybe its just a bad starter
    Yea when mine was sank, it sat for a month before I looked at it.

After watching all the water come out spark plug holes, I tried n tried to start but never did.

Pulled motor completely, took off all exhaust parts, n tipped motor upside down....about a half gallon of water was down in the crank case. Everything was toast.

Well I haven't gotten that far yet. I am having trouble betting the starter to spin it over. I need it to do that so I can get it to run. I sprayed alot of lube down the carbs to keep it all lubed. I guess water down in the crank is a possibility. Ive never had on apart, so I dont know where to go from here.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy'sbitch View Post
    I am actually jumping it from my truck with jumper cables, directly to the stater. I should have mentioned that
    I hope that the truck is not running...you can back feed through the black box to the MPEM and blow it

been around the block Stagesrt4's Avatar
    I'm not sure where to start

But I'd go start readying how to's and how to assemble/disassemble 787

+1
    200 psi per plug? wow, you are killing that engine... Pump gas i wouldnt run anything over 175, 180 is pushing it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information