Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

New to 4-Tec..overheating issue RXT '05

There are probably 100 posts about this, and I'm a nube to the 4-Tec scene. (still have 3 two strokes)

Couple weeks back, I took a long ride and when I decelerated, the overheat alarm sounded. I had the book with me and discovered that the reservoire was low, so after it cooled some, I put in some of my drinking water to top it off to the mark. Seemed to have cured the problem as I made it home without incident.

However....

Been out on the water last weekend, went a good distance without issues. Was a great ride.
    To note, I checked the reserve before this ride and it was still up to where the hi level should be. Also, I removed a bit of fluid from there (my drinking water incident above) and replaced with 50/50 premix.

Then today, had nothing but alarms going off. H-TEMP, steady long beep, so had to shut down and wait several times. (how annoying is that!)
    Stayed on the water a while as I was trying to determine when it will go off again and if there was anything relative to my speed or the like.

At some points, I was able to blast full throttle, carve, change rpms, cruise, blast, idle. Then without any particular reason that I could tell, alarm went off yet again.

Looking at the manual (overheating section) it states that it could be any number of things, so don't know if there is any 'simple' or particular area to start. Is it a common problem?
    (am considering dropping it off at the dealership, however they are back right up on work)

Any help appreciated.

+1
    Peter, the H-temp alarm is the ski telling you that the exhaust is too hot. take the coupler off between the j-pipe and waterbox and make sure there is nothing blocking the 3 pisser holes on the end of the j-pipe. have you sucked up a bunch of weeds/sand/debris lately? it sounds like your cooling system is constricted. this is the water side of the cooling circuit, not the coolant side.

+1
    Addendum: attached is an image of the small melt.

Hmm, not sure about where the J pipe and waterbox is. I'm going to head out and have a look. (remember, this is a new thing for me)
    And I think it could have been sand. Are these machines that tempermental?

ps, noticed a small part of plastic melted on the exhaust. I'll try and snap a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post
    Peter, the H-temp alarm is the ski telling you that the exhaust is too hot. take the coupler off between the j-pipe and waterbox and make sure there is nothing blocking the 3 pisser holes on the end of the j-pipe. have you sucked up a bunch of weeds/sand/debris lately? it sounds like your cooling system is constricted. this is the water side of the cooling circuit, not the coolant side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	193347  

+1
    I might seem totally inept here, however I see the muffler in the back corner, but not a water box. I know them for sight under the seat of a 2-stroke, just not this model.
    As for the J pipe, what size is that? 4"? Sorry, I'm totally stuck looking at something I'm not used to seeing.
    On that note, reminds me of a girl I dated ages back with webbed toes. I just couldn't stop looking, you know?

+1
    Googled it.
    Are you saying I am to remove the clamp from the right side of this pipe image? Or the other end?
    Am I going to get myself into trouble here or what? LoL

+1
    the left end in the image. it really sounds like you clogged something up in the cooling circuit, whether it's the intercooler or exhaust or a hose inbetween. p.s. the "muffler" and "water box" are the same thing. the aluminum box in the left corner covered in rubber insulation that you're burning up is the waterbox/muffler. the black plastic box in the right corner is a silencer that we call the "resonator".

+1
    So there are tiny holes in the end of that pipe?

I just went through the book and flushed here in the driveway. Not sure if that needs to be done often or not.

Q: Would a bit of sand cause this? Aren't the ports large enough to digest and crap it out?

Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post
    the left end in the image. it really sounds like you clogged something up in the cooling circuit, whether it's the intercooler or exhaust or a hose inbetween. p.s. the "muffler" and "water box" are the same thing. the aluminum box in the left corner covered in rubber insulation that you're burning up is the waterbox/muffler. the black plastic box in the right corner is a silencer that we call the "resonator".

+1
    Had it on the hose for a flush. Then back to the lake. Same problem.
    Dealership time.

+1
    Couldn't give up. Was really bothering me.
    Attached is an image of the rubber hose that connects to the water can.

It has delaminated.

Would this be the cause?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	193384  

I pew pew lazors
    Quote Originally Posted by SideFX View Post
    Couldn't give up. Was really bothering me.
    Attached is an image of the rubber hose that connects to the water can.

It has delaminated.

Would this be the cause?
    Heat is my guess. From the looks of it your exhaust is running extremely hot. As previously mentioned it sounds like there is constriction somewhere in the cooling system. Running it on the hose (as you just determined) more than likely isn't going to fix the problem. You'll need to pull the cooling system apart and inspect it thoroughly.

I'm not experienced enough with the skis to give you detailed step by step instructions but here is a general schematic to get you started. Others on the forum will chime in.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....e=13&A=130&B=1

The upper half of the schematic is the closed loop system which you'll want to avoid.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information