What to do about a blown Turbo in MSX150?

I posted about this on PWCToday, but in another post I found you guys saying this was the place to be for Polaris!

I'm looking for options. I only have 18 hours on my MSX150, it's 2 years old, out of warranty.

1. Can I get extended warranties so I'm not out $3700 every 18 hours which seems to be the life expectancy of the turbo?

2. Can I buy more reliable aftermarket turbo or other engine parts? Not really concerned with performance, but reliability.

Any other suggestions for me and my $10,000 Polaris ski that keeps breaking!? Blah, I just don't want to be stuck out in the ocean when something else goes wrong. There's always SeaTow type deals, but that's a real pain to get towed in, plus trying to clamp the intake hose so water doesn't back-up in the engine...

It's also hard to find friends with jetskis to go out with.

+1
    Hi DARE WELCOME to the Green Hulk forms, great to see another Polaris enthusiasts amongs us. You might want to talk with 4strokepolaris as he knows these things inside and out. You should certainly get better than 18 hours out of your turbo, he'll probably have some things you can check.

+1
    You know I just remembered CD might have an answer or two as well.

Ride Mohave To Havasu. Live In Los Angeles.
    jetset007 would be nice to have here too. He works for Weber and used to work for Polaris. Between 4strokepolaristech and CD, the 4 stroke Polaris is pretty well covered. Jetset007 would be icing on the cake, so to speak.

Hey thanks guys -- so where are they and why aren't they responding to my post!?

+1
    They are some busy guys but they'll be around.

SL, Dan has been swamped just trying to keep up with his regular job with Weber and their cool new stuff. Unfortunately this means his net time is almost zero. We can get some questions to him though, if we get a little list together I'll be sure to pass it on.
    Last edited by ph2ocraft; 09-30-2006 at 10:45 PM.

+1

MSX TURBO

ok you can buy a extended warranty but it is a limited liabilty policy. what that means is that since you are out of warranty at the time you purchase the warranty they will see what you unit is worth. then they will take that number and will not pay out in claims more than that number. EX. 2004 MSX 150 5800.00 they will not pay more than a total of 5800.00 in claims. current price for extended warranty right now is 1499.00.
    we have rebuilt turbos in stock that do have changes that we have done to them. what is wrong with your turbo now? is the wastegate arm frozen? is it smoking? does it have a broken turbine shaft? is it missing fins on intake side? do you ride in salt water or fresh water? more information is good. also when was you machine out of warranty? did you contact your serviceing Polaris PWC dealer? Where are you located?
    Last edited by ph2ocraft; 09-30-2006 at 10:46 PM.

Hi thanks for the info. I heard them mention the wastegate arm was frozen, but I didn't ask for further details yet since I don't know what that is. They want $3700 to replace the entire turbo assembly. They said they would send in a ticket with Polaris to claim it only had 18 hours on it and it's only 6 months out of warranty. Maybe Polaris will send the parts free or something.

I'm really at my dealer's mercy since they are the only one supporting Polaris watercraft within 250 miles of me. That's also why I didn't bring it in sooner -- it's an hour drive. Polaris doesn't seem to want to communicate directly with their customers.

My friend paid $4000 for a used 2 stroke Yamaha that has no problems keeping up with me, the XL 700 I think. I'd rather buy that than pay to have this fixed, although I don't know how I'd sell my broken Polaris. It's probably worth it for someone who can get the parts for $2000 and fix it themselves.

+1
    Hey Dare ,I would be down there picking up my ski .18 hrs ?You would have to have a crocodile in the intake to cause any real damage in there .Sounds like you are paying for their impending holidays .Get som,e one else to look at it before you do any thing .Far from him 4 stroke Polaris tech?

Cheers
    Bernie

+1

Wink

I have freed up many waste gate arms,get a can of p-b blaster soak where arm & rod on turbo ,walk away,come back after few hr's lube again.after few time go get some vice gripes,clamp on control arm and try to move back and forth (will be down for it to move )wont move!! spray again,keep working little at time (It's broken what ya got to loose) just give it time

wonder if can fit gpr motor in there? what ever

later cdpcb
    Last edited by chip; 10-01-2006 at 07:33 PM.

Thread Information