Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How much is a 2004 GTX SC with blown motor worth?

There's a possibility I can pick up a 04 GTX SC hull with a blown motor that needs the following:

New head
    New crankcases
    1 Piston
    Gasket kit
    New valves for one cylinder

I want to learn how to rebuild/work on the internals of my own skis and thought this would be a great "test" ski so I don't screw up something on my regular skis. So my question is...

How much should I be willing to pay for the GTX as it is? (No trailer, ski does come with a title)

Thanks for any advice!
    Last edited by JAG; 09-29-2006 at 12:22 AM.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    Jeremy... if the cases are shot it's not even a rebuildable project where you can install a new valvetrain, new pistons and rings and rods... you dont even have a good core to send SBT, although i dont know what their policy is with cores on the 4-tecs...

it's ALOT ALOT ALOT of money to rebuild a motor if ur cases are destroyed

if it took out the cases and a piston, the crank itself isn't mangled?? all the metal everywhere ur gonna need front cover, pto cover, oil pumps, gaskets galore....

find out 1. actual damage everywhere 2. SBTs policy with cores and buying a block outright. To do this with all OEM parts is gonna cost mega bucks unless u somehow pick up this ski for 1-2 thousand bucks...on a GOOD day an 04 GTX SC is worth 7k, MAYBE a little more..... so dont get into it for more than it's worth if u were to rebuild it... leave the option there for urself to buy it as IS and part it out and at bare minimum break even if it turns out u can't rebuild it for profit or market value.

There's also another 04 GTX SC near me that has hull damage but a good motor so I could buy 2 and make one from the 2 possibly.

So do you think $2000 is the most I should spend? What about $2500-$3000? I'm trying to think smart here and I want to really learn how to work on my own skis by doing a project like this one...hmmmmm...

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    well think to urself how much the other guy wants with the hull damage... did the motor take on water, hydrolock, or bend a rod as a result of the damaged hull??

buy both for like 6-7 grand... between the two you have one working 04 GTX SC...

then u have an extra hull, destroyed motor, ECUs, harnesses, pumps, driveshafts, MPEMs, gauges, hood, seats, etc... which you can either part out or you can build another complete ski and sell it...

your best bet would probably be trying to pick up with of them for about 7 grand or less combined... then u'll do well for urself and make some pocket cash and have a working ski

used parts are always in demand, so dont spend more than you can make back by parting and gutting it down to nothing

i'll foot ya some cash, we'll split the profit, LOLOL... i love these types of deals. buddy of mine recently made 5 grand profit off a blown up 03 GTX SC, can't go wrong!!

Jeremy, very good answeres from Shibbs! he has lots of experiences and spent many many hours in his ski`s ...PR...

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider
    Jeremy, very good answeres from Shibbs! he has lots of experiences and spent many many hours in his ski`s ...PR...
    That was mean!

Alright, I've gotta see what I can get the two for...I'll let you know soon...and thanks for the advice!

Hey Jag, if you decide to go for these 2 ski`s, and want to part out some of the extra`s, I prolly could help you out there...just a thought!...
    bc I also have an 04 GTX SC, well it`s a flower pot right now, will soon be recommisioned to the sea someday... ...PR...

why do you have those nasty cuss words in your sig?

Hey Jag, if you decide to go for these 2 ski`s, and want to part out some of the extra`s, I prolly could help you out there...just a thought!...
    bc I also have an 04 GTX SC, well it`s a flower pot right now, will soon be recommisioned to the sea someday... ...PR...

why do you have those nasty cuss words in your sig?
    PR - I'll definitely let you know if I get them and what extra stuff I wind up with. How much work you got left to do on your GTX?

I figured I'd get ribbed when I added my signature. So, to answer your question...Because they've treated me extremely well, took my RXP from 67 to 75 with lots of room still left for big speed gains, have bent over backwards to help me, and continue to take good care of me when I need it. That's my story and I'm not going to hide it because some people don't like them. I respect everyone's opinion, and appreciate it when others respect mine. I don't mind if someone disagrees with me, but my take on life is that I can disagree with someone and still maintain the friendship. Bottom line for me is that life is too short and friendship too valuable for me to sweat the small stuff. PR - know this...you have a friend in me. In my book you have to do something really bad, like hurt my wife or kids, to damage friendship. That's the value I place on it. That's who I am. Make sense? Ok, probably more answer than you really asked for!

That was a good honest answer! stick to it ...

OH my, the GTX is in a bazillion parts, half of them here in my garage and the hull and engine in Heavy D`s shop. I`m having sereration anxiety ...PR...

just bustin your stones, didn`t mean anything by it
    by the way, how did they do all that, you made the trip to FL?

That was a good honest answer! stick to it ...

OH my, the GTX is in a bazillion parts, half of them here in my garage and the hull and engine in Heavy D`s shop. I`m having sereration anxiety ...PR...

just bustin your stones, didn`t mean anything by it
    by the way, how did they do all that, you made the trip to FL?
    I'd be anxious too if my ski was in a bazillion parts...but I guess that's what I'm about to do to the one I just picked up!

I figured you were razzin me but I know what you've been through too so I'm sensitive to that too. I sent it down in Feb/Mar with a guy going down there to pick his up. Then I made the trip down with 3 other guys and my 4 place trailer for a week of riding in the Keys and stopped by and picked it up on the way down.

Now...what in the world should I do first with the ski I just picked up? The adventure begins!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information