Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2004 Honda R-12X STOP Running?

Hello everyone.
    I'm working on my friends Honda right now that has 120 hours, all is stock on this ski, always stored indoors, primeum gas used and plugs changed every 50 hours.

last weekend the ski stopped working out of the blue in the middle of the lake.
    he was going close to WOT when rpm dropped to 3500, ski lost throttle response and just died. started only once after that for a short period of time with some unnormal engine noise.

got the ski in my storage unit right now, trying to diagnose this problem.
    today i tried to start ski and it ran for 15 sec at a time couple times until it died again, with some noise inside engine compartment. seems like its coming from somewhere in the back of the engine, at one point sounded like i'm missing a cylinder or two

first things first I wanted to check compession but my guage did not have the right spark plug adapter, will need to get that and report some numbers.
    have looked down the spark plug hole in each cylinder to see for any obvious damage and if i feel or here something unusual when starting without the plug in.

have checked for spark, all 4 coils are getting good spark.
    battery is properly charged and turns really well, seems like it wants to go but no fire. all 4 plugs are gapped at 0.85mm, all though it seems to me that some of the plugs are too wet if not fouled and a bit darker then i would expect them to see.

I can here the fuel pump working, it primes the lines and rail everytime i put the lanyard in the switch.
    didnt touch any of the injectors or the fuel rail.

no obvious oil leaks what so ever, WGA actuator is not rusted and moving well when i try to move it back and forth with my hand.

no MIL, F1 warning lights or any codes when i connect lanyard to the switch and try to start. as well I have checked ECM and nothing seems to be in the memory.

as always, any input and help is greatly appreciated!
    thanks to all....

i hear the hondas have valve issues. so you may have dropped a valve or lost a spring etc.

+1
    Definitely check compression ASAP, that will tell you a lot. If that is good or you can't get the adapter immediately, also pull off the air intake/air box ... some of the Hondas accumulate breather/PCV oil in the air intake, eventually fouling out the rear spark plug(s). Check for oil in the airbox, clean it out if its oily, then change spark plugs and try to fire it again.

+1
    sounds like a valve spring keeper or spring. Compression will tell.

thanks for the tip, will get some compression numbers as soon as i can...

are all of you guys really buying the manual for this ski? I never had to buy PDF format manuals before for any of my stuff no matter if its a boat, jetski or snowmobile.

I build Horsepower
    +1
    We will need a leak down or compression reading to do a prober diagnosis.

As for manuals I have both, but prefer the Hard copy version when its available.

Shawn

we are on the right track!
    have found the 10mm spark plug adapter, not all kits come with them!

#1: 160 psi
    #2: 165 psi
    #3: 165 psi
    #4: 110 psi

*Compression test was done @ WOT*
    Using regular $50 analog guage.

problem is obviously in cylinder #4. is this really dropped valve spring?
    what needs to be replaced along the way when something like this happens?

can all the work be done by removing only top end?
    or entire engine needs to come out?
    how many hours of work involved? and how much dealer charges for something like this?

thanks guys!

+1
    You will need to pull the motor and the head too since it almost never drops without piston damage. Buy Nitro's spring kit so you never have to do it again. The rest of the readings are low but they may be due to your measuring technique.
    If you were in Florida I would get you to take it to Eric...

well before just jumping to a dropped valve (altho it probably is) i would pull the valve cover (its very easy and you can do it your self without having to worry about damaging anything) and take a look at the valves/springs/retainers and make sure that is the problem but no matter what that motor is gona have to come out and apart.
    joe

thanks for all the input on this issue.
    I will open up the valve cover, just to make sure it is what it is.

the reason I'm asking how many hours and how much dealer would charge for something like this, is to have an idea and a price quote of some kind.

I understand that posting of manual is not really welcome in Honda section for some reasons. But incase someone does not mind sharing please email PDF copy here: [email protected]
    or maybe at least the section on how to disasseble engine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information