Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

RPM Gauge Stopped Working

We were riding in some rough stuff and one of my hoses came off and filled my boat halfway with water. I found the hose that came off and I put in back on. The bilge cleared everything out, then I noticed that the RPM's stopped working after the water was gone. Has anyone had this issue with the RPM Gauge? If so, what was the fix. Is it a sensor that has gotten wet?

I am on my iPhone, so I don't have access to my service manual.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas View Post
    We were riding in some rough stuff and one of my hoses came off and filled my boat halfway with water. I found the hose that came off and I put in back on. The bilge cleared everything out, then I noticed that the RPM's stopped working after the water was gone. Has anyone had this issue with the RPM Gauge? If so, what was the fix. Is it a sensor that has gotten wet?

I am on my iPhone, so I don't have access to my service manual.
    Hi Carlos
    Not sure if this is with the MoTeC or not.
    The stock ECU recieves rpm info from the crank sensor, it then sends this info along with other dash stuff up to the dash via a network type connection, if you have a MoTeC then we have a little device attached to the loom called a KTC, this device turns MoTeC launguage into Yamaha language. The KTC could have water in it.

If its the stock ECU then all I can think of is the stock connectors could be wet.

If the RPM is not working then chance are the alarms wont be either so be careful.

Cheers

+1
    I need to locate my MoTeC manual. Will the manual point out where this loom is located? If it does have water in it, what is the solution?

I need to locate my MoTeC manual. Will the manual point out where this loom is located? If it does have water in it, what is the solution?

Carlos, the crank sensor is on the rear. There are 3 thick green wires for the generator and then 2 others for the crank sensor.

Below is a picture of that wiring (off the ski and connector off). Those green wires should make it pretty easy to locate.

+1
    Thanks Pete/SHOBiz. Now that I have located the sensor, just to confirm:

• Is it the RED arrow or the YELLOW arrow (picture attached)?
    • How do I know fix it?
    • Do I just unplug it and let it dry out or does something need to be replaced?

Thanks...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Motec Sensor.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	193560  

Thanks Pete/SHOBiz. Now that I have located the sensor, just to confirm:

• Is it the RED arrow or the YELLOW arrow (picture attached)?
    • How do I know fix it?
    • Do I just unplug it and let it dry out or does something need to be replaced?
    Thanks...

Red arrow. To eliminate the connector as being wet I would leave it unconnected over night or so and use some compressed air as well if available. Don't see how the sensor itself would get wet as it is in the case. Unless it just got damaged which would bite to have to replace, but not the end of the world.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    Red arrow. To eliminate the connector as being wet I would leave it unconnected over night or so and use some compressed air as well if available. Don't see how the sensor itself would get wet as it is in the case. Unless it just got damaged which would bite to have to replace, but not the end of the world.
    Thanks. I will disconnect it tonight before I go to sleep and let it sit for a few days, as I don't plan to be on the water until next weekend. I will get some air on it too. Why do you say that it would "bite" to replace it? What is involved in replacing it?

+1
    I posted a follow up question on the MoTeC forum. However, SHOBiz I left it unplugged for about 23 hours. I did not have any compressed air around the house. I did not feel any moisture when I unplugged it or when I went to plug it back in. When I fired it up the RPM's still did not register.

I posted a follow up question on the MoTeC forum. However, SHOBiz I left it unplugged for about 23 hours. I did not have any compressed air around the house. I did not feel any moisture when I unplugged it or when I went to plug it back in. When I fired it up the RPM's still did not register.
    Yep, best off right to Pete to get to the cause of this now.

+1
    time to get a PET TACH?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information