Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    SLOWBOY31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    MIAMI, FL
    Posts
    12

    Unhappy bad day on the water ...

    Ok guys so heres the story. I went out yesterday to the local lake, usually just ride ocean but my buddies wanted to go. So we were out riding for about an hour raced about 5-6 other skis then out of no where at about 3/4 throttle i feel the engine stutter bad so i let off the gas, it then just turns off . I tried to turn it back on but nothing like if my battery died, waited about 20 min then tried again it was turning over but wouldn't turn on unless i feathered the throttle and when it did turn on it made a nasty squealing noise so i shut it right back down. A couple hours later im at my mechanics house, i was thinking it was a piston that went bad which would get me pretty mad cause the motor was just rebiult by riva 35hrs ago but no i was only half right it was a piston but the piston messed up cause my crank bearing went bye bye but i got a little lucky if i can say that cause my cylinder was unharmed. Alright so my question is do i need to replace the whole crank or can i get it rebuilt, if i can does anyone recomend a certain shop that does that kind of work preferably in south Fl. Also since i have to replace the piston i found one online from a company called sbt for a decent price should i get it or just go with oem or some other make (suggestions would be greatly appreciated)

    The ski is a 2001 gp1200r with a COMPLETE stage 2 from riva minus the heads
    motor was recently rebiult by riva with all three new pistons 35hrs ago


  2. #2
    L Carlson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bonita Springs, Florida, United States
    Posts
    7,118
    +1
    2
    Where to Buy OEM Yamaha Cranks, Parts
    OsideBill
    Stay with an OEM piston and stay away from SBT. Lee

  3. #3
    old school gp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    miami
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally Posted by SLOWBOY31 View Post
    Ok guys so heres the story. I went out yesterday to the local lake, usually just ride ocean but my buddies wanted to go. So we were out riding for about an hour raced about 5-6 other skis then out of no where at about 3/4 throttle i feel the engine stutter bad so i let off the gas, it then just turns off . I tried to turn it back on but nothing like if my battery died, waited about 20 min then tried again it was turning over but wouldn't turn on unless i feathered the throttle and when it did turn on it made a nasty squealing noise so i shut it right back down. A couple hours later im at my mechanics house, i was thinking it was a piston that went bad which would get me pretty mad cause the motor was just rebiult by riva 35hrs ago but no i was only half right it was a piston but the piston messed up cause my crank bearing went bye bye but i got a little lucky if i can say that cause my cylinder was unharmed. Alright so my question is do i need to replace the whole crank or can i get it rebuilt, if i can does anyone recomend a certain shop that does that kind of work preferably in south Fl. Also since i have to replace the piston i found one online from a company called sbt for a decent price should i get it or just go with oem or some other make (suggestions would be greatly appreciated)

    The ski is a 2001 gp1200r with a COMPLETE stage 2 from riva minus the heads
    motor was recently rebiult by riva with all three new pistons 35hrs ago
    what part of miami u out of and who is your mechanic im asking cuz im ready to fire mine

  4. #4
    XLTNoob
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Baytown, TX
    Posts
    400
    I went with Hot Rods crank on my XLT1200, about $750 brand new.

    I honestly can't believe you tore up a piston but no cylinder damage! lucky sob.

    You broke the first rule though: When your engine acts stupid out of nowhere, shut her down as early as possible and dont try a restart till you've had a look at the inside.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas City, Texas
    Posts
    1,249
    +1
    15
    Why wouldn't you go right back to RIVA?

    35 hours? Come on!!!!!

    At the very least, they should give you a deal on the parts.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    atlanta
    Posts
    11

    crank rebuild

    theres a shop in south miami that rebuilds cranks its JV performance pm me if you want the number

  7. #7
    GPR305's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Miami, Florida United States
    Posts
    601
    damn RIva just rebuilt your engine and that happend ? I just bought a 1300r from them (looks exactly like the one in ur avitar) but i got a warranty and i hope i dont have to use it. I recently found out about a shop near my house in Hialeah called Wet Spot Racing small place really cool guy and he has his own in house machine shop. I am takin him my 1200r on thursday give him a call.

  8. #8
    old school gp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    miami
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally Posted by GPR305 View Post
    damn RIva just rebuilt your engine and that happend ? I just bought a 1300r from them (looks exactly like the one in ur avitar) but i got a warranty and i hope i dont have to use it. I recently found out about a shop near my house in Hialeah called Wet Spot Racing small place really cool guy and he has his own in house machine shop. I am takin him my 1200r on thursday give him a call.
    is he any good

  9. #9
    SLOWBOY31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    MIAMI, FL
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by GPR305 View Post
    damn RIva just rebuilt your engine and that happend ? I just bought a 1300r from them (looks exactly like the one in ur avitar) but i got a warranty and i hope i dont have to use it. I recently found out about a shop near my house in Hialeah called Wet Spot Racing small place really cool guy and he has his own in house machine shop. I am takin him my 1200r on thursday give him a call.
    yea they did the top end so i cant really blame this on them cause it was the crank that went. and can you get me the number to the shop youre talking about, thanks.

  10. #10
    SLOWBOY31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    MIAMI, FL
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by old school gp View Post
    what part of miami u out of and who is your mechanic im asking cuz im ready to fire mine
    im around pinecrest but my mechanic works out of hialeah its not a shop tho he just works out of his garage

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Bad day on the water! Need S3 hull, recommendations?
    By Prkiller in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-05-2016, 12:21 PM
  2. Bad day on the water!
    By GPRFrank in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-21-2010, 01:28 PM
  3. SL750, good first day on the water
    By mystahagy in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-06-2007, 07:25 AM
  4. great day on the water,NEW SPEED 72.8
    By rxtmike in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-10-2007, 11:24 PM
  5. Think your having a bad day on the forums?
    By Insanediego Joe in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-17-2006, 11:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •