Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy bad day on the water ...

Ok guys so heres the story. I went out yesterday to the local lake, usually just ride ocean but my buddies wanted to go. So we were out riding for about an hour raced about 5-6 other skis then out of no where at about 3/4 throttle i feel the engine stutter bad so i let off the gas, it then just turns off . I tried to turn it back on but nothing like if my battery died, waited about 20 min then tried again it was turning over but wouldn't turn on unless i feathered the throttle and when it did turn on it made a nasty squealing noise so i shut it right back down. A couple hours later im at my mechanics house, i was thinking it was a piston that went bad which would get me pretty mad cause the motor was just rebiult by riva 35hrs ago but no i was only half right it was a piston but the piston messed up cause my crank bearing went bye bye but i got a little lucky if i can say that cause my cylinder was unharmed. Alright so my question is do i need to replace the whole crank or can i get it rebuilt, if i can does anyone recomend a certain shop that does that kind of work preferably in south Fl. Also since i have to replace the piston i found one online from a company called sbt for a decent price should i get it or just go with oem or some other make (suggestions would be greatly appreciated)

The ski is a 2001 gp1200r with a COMPLETE stage 2 from riva minus the heads
    motor was recently rebiult by riva with all three new pistons 35hrs ago

+1
    Where to Buy OEM Yamaha Cranks, Parts
    OsideBill
    Stay with an OEM piston and stay away from SBT. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by SLOWBOY31 View Post
    Ok guys so heres the story. I went out yesterday to the local lake, usually just ride ocean but my buddies wanted to go. So we were out riding for about an hour raced about 5-6 other skis then out of no where at about 3/4 throttle i feel the engine stutter bad so i let off the gas, it then just turns off . I tried to turn it back on but nothing like if my battery died, waited about 20 min then tried again it was turning over but wouldn't turn on unless i feathered the throttle and when it did turn on it made a nasty squealing noise so i shut it right back down. A couple hours later im at my mechanics house, i was thinking it was a piston that went bad which would get me pretty mad cause the motor was just rebiult by riva 35hrs ago but no i was only half right it was a piston but the piston messed up cause my crank bearing went bye bye but i got a little lucky if i can say that cause my cylinder was unharmed. Alright so my question is do i need to replace the whole crank or can i get it rebuilt, if i can does anyone recomend a certain shop that does that kind of work preferably in south Fl. Also since i have to replace the piston i found one online from a company called sbt for a decent price should i get it or just go with oem or some other make (suggestions would be greatly appreciated)

The ski is a 2001 gp1200r with a COMPLETE stage 2 from riva minus the heads
    motor was recently rebiult by riva with all three new pistons 35hrs ago
    what part of miami u out of and who is your mechanic im asking cuz im ready to fire mine

XLTNoob
    I went with Hot Rods crank on my XLT1200, about $750 brand new.

I honestly can't believe you tore up a piston but no cylinder damage! lucky sob.

You broke the first rule though: When your engine acts stupid out of nowhere, shut her down as early as possible and dont try a restart till you've had a look at the inside.

+1
    Why wouldn't you go right back to RIVA?

35 hours? Come on!!!!!

At the very least, they should give you a deal on the parts.

crank rebuild

theres a shop in south miami that rebuilds cranks its JV performance pm me if you want the number

damn RIva just rebuilt your engine and that happend ? I just bought a 1300r from them (looks exactly like the one in ur avitar) but i got a warranty and i hope i dont have to use it. I recently found out about a shop near my house in Hialeah called Wet Spot Racing small place really cool guy and he has his own in house machine shop. I am takin him my 1200r on thursday give him a call.

Quote Originally Posted by GPR305 View Post
    damn RIva just rebuilt your engine and that happend ? I just bought a 1300r from them (looks exactly like the one in ur avitar) but i got a warranty and i hope i dont have to use it. I recently found out about a shop near my house in Hialeah called Wet Spot Racing small place really cool guy and he has his own in house machine shop. I am takin him my 1200r on thursday give him a call.
    is he any good

Quote Originally Posted by GPR305 View Post
    yea they did the top end so i cant really blame this on them cause it was the crank that went. and can you get me the number to the shop youre talking about, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by old school gp View Post
    what part of miami u out of and who is your mechanic im asking cuz im ready to fire mine
    im around pinecrest but my mechanic works out of hialeah its not a shop tho he just works out of his garage

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information