Rodney, you plonker...

RXP 2005, Steering cable

Had an issue this weekend whilst doing my first launch of my newly owned RXP 215, seems the steering was stiff, and then once on the lake, there was no steering right

I've took the steering cable off, and checked that the steering column is free, and at least that part turn nice and easy once the steering cable was off.

The steering cable however it seems can't be pushed or pulled by hand, totally stiff, you have to knock it in or out with a hammer, looks like i need a replacement steering cable.

Now down to my point why i'm posting, at the pump end of the steering cable, i managed to pull the steering cable straight out from inside the hull, is this really ment to just pull out? or is there supposed to be a retaining clip or something to hold it securly in position once pushed tightly into the hole in the hull? all that was there was the part that has the rubber seal inside the 24mm nut.

Even though there was nothing there before hand i just want my mind settled before i simply push another steering cable back through.

cheers beforehand for picking at all your vast knowledge!

+1
    Theres the black plastic nut next to the pump and two half moon looking plastic peices that go around the cable itself. There isnt a c clip.

Rodney, you plonker...
    two half moon looking plastic peices that go around the cable itself
    somehow i cant remember seeing these there, any clues if they would come with a new cable?

Rodney, you plonker...
    yes, the cable goes through that plastic nut, but where do these half moon shaped plastic pieces go? i've attached pic to help point it out
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00178.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	193418  

+1
    they go in the groove in the stainless part near the crimped part. Also the new cable won't come with the rubber seals near the end, or the nut.

Rodney, you plonker...
    I've got the rubber seals and the nut just these half moon things i havent, i take it that these will stop the cable from retracting into the hull?

if it means anything, on the cable itself there is the number: 277001327 43381 T, followed by a good ol' "MADE IN USA"
    Last edited by NtBlstr; 06-13-2010 at 03:25 PM. Reason: found a long number on the cable :)

Rodney, you plonker...
    ordered the steering cable and it seems these half moon pieces come in the package with the new cable, just 2c for those that would be wondering

Thread Information