Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Angry polaris virage txi 1200 idles and dies

Hi. I need help with my Virage Txi 1200. Last season the jet ski ran fine prior to winter storage. I drain most the gas from the tank prior to storage. After nine months of no use I took the jetski to the lake. With a ful tank of gas and 2 cycle oil I start the engine and it'd start right up. However after a few seconds, it'll idle and die. This sequence continues for over 45 minutes. Pressing the throttle did little to keep the engine from dying. A beep is heard during start up and the flashing light is shown on the display page but both the beep and the flashing light goes away. I took out the spark plug and it's all foul up and totally black. I clean the spark plug with carb cleaner and a wire brush try to start the engine but still have the same problem. It'd idle and try to run but within a few seconds it'd die. I am bit lost and confused to what could of gone wrong with the jetski since it was working fine last year but now it won't idle and run. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks is advance.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

As far as I know, there is no beeper or buzzer anywhere in the Virage TXi.
    What exactly are you hearing?
    The electric fuel pump perhaps?

Was this engine winterized with fogging oil before storage?
    If yes, how much fogging oil?

Check the following;
    Cylinder compression - all spark plugs out, throttle held wire open. Must be within 5% of each other.

Fuel pressure at the schrader valve Tee - should jump to over 20 PSI as soon as the engine begins cranking

Spark plugs - Must be NGK PZFR6H, and must be fresh. Old spark plugs can cause problems, even when they look good.

Spark plug wires. Make sure they are fully seated, not damaged, and connected to the correct cylinders.

Unplug the TPS, see if the engine will start and idle. It will not respond to throttle with the TPS unplugged.

MFI display - any signs of water inside? If non of the above reveal anything, then unplug and bypass the MFI display.

Polaris Ficht Fuel Injected Engines

Multi-Function Display (MFD)
    Also MFI and NGI displays

How to unplug the MFI and still allow the engine to crank, start, and run
    If the MFI is causing trouble, or is just missing or unplugged, you can still crank, start, and run the engine using a bypass jumper

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome

As far as I know, there is no beeper or buzzer anywhere in the Virage TXi.
    What exactly are you hearing?
    The electric fuel pump perhaps?

Was this engine winterized with fogging oil before storage?
    If yes, how much fogging oil?

Check the following;
    Cylinder compression - all spark plugs out, throttle held wire open. Must be within 5% of each other.

Fuel pressure at the schrader valve Tee - should jump to over 20 PSI as soon as the engine begins cranking

Spark plugs - Must be NGK PZFR6H, and must be fresh. Old spark plugs can cause problems, even when they look good.

Spark plug wires. Make sure they are fully seated, not damaged, and connected to the correct cylinders.

Unplug the TPS, see if the engine will start and idle. It will not respond to throttle with the TPS unplugged.

MFI display - any signs of water inside? If non of the above reveal anything, then unplug and bypass the MFI display.

Polaris Ficht Fuel Injected Engines

Multi-Function Display (MFD)
    Also MFI and NGI displays

How to unplug the MFI and still allow the engine to crank, start, and run
    If the MFI is causing trouble, or is just missing or unplugged, you can still crank, start, and run the engine using a bypass jumper
    My response to your questions:

I believe the sound I am hearing is coming from the bilge pump.

I am not aware that I need to fog the engine so fogging was not done.

I do not have a compression guage so I did not perform this step.

The fuel pressure was around 20 psi when I crank the engine.

Today I took out the old spark plugs and use new NGK PZFR6H spark plugs.

When I disconnect the TPS I am able to start the engine but the engine has no response to the throttle position.

I didn't get to the MFI yet.

After performing the above steps, I hook up the water hose and start the engine again. Initially, the engine runs a bit longer than before but would eventually die. After a few more restarts I am able keep the engine idling. The longer I run the engine it appears to run smoother. Out of curiosity I check the newly installed spark plugs and noticed they are almost as dark as the old plugs. So now I am a bit confuse to why my jetski can't idle after a long winter break. Is it the old spark plugs? Is it bad gas? What do I need to do to prevent this issue from re-occurring again?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mouamax View Post
    ...When I disconnect the TPS I am able to start the engine but the engine has no response to the throttle position...
    With the TPS unplugged, will it continue to idle as long as you let it run?

If yes, then replace the TPS. They can fail, and installing a new TPS is the best method of checking whether the TPS is the problem cause.

Polaris PWC Parts Sources

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    With the TPS unplugged, will it continue to idle as long as you let it run?

With TPS unplugged, I get no throttle response but it idle for much longer like a few minutes. Eventually it stop idling but I am not sure if that was due to pressing on the throttle. Since the test was not conclusive I reinstall TPS plug and continue to try to run the engine again. Only after running the engine at higher rpm (3K-4K) did the engine start to run a bit smoother and begin to idle and not die. I'll retest the TPS again later tonight and see if there's any changes.

Whether or not the TPS plug is the culprit, I plan to purchase the TPS plug in the near future. Who do you recommend to purchase Polaris parts?

I have a few more questions:

1) Do the spark plugs normally look all black like it's fouled up? I just installed new spark plugs and I can't believe it's so dark.

2) Is there an idle adjust anywhere or is the idle electronically controlled by the TPS and EMM?

3) Last summer when we first took my Virage Txi out it was having similar problem keeping idle but was not as bad as this time. After we run the jetski on the water for 10 minutes or so, the jetski was able to maintain idle and have no further problem. On subsequent trips to the lake last year we continue to have similar idle problem. Beside new spark plugs and TPS plug, what else could cause the idle problem?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mouamax View Post
    ...Who do you recommend to purchase Polaris parts?

I have a few more questions:

1) Do the spark plugs normally look all black like it's fouled up? I just installed new spark plugs and I can't believe it's so dark.
    The plugs should look fairly normal, but that requires the engine to be running properly

2) Is there an idle adjust anywhere or is the idle electronically controlled by the TPS and EMM?
    Idle is controlled by the EMM - 1150RPM

3) Last summer when we first took my Virage Txi out it was having similar problem keeping idle but was not as bad as this time. After we run the jetski on the water for 10 minutes or so, the jetski was able to maintain idle and have no further problem. On subsequent trips to the lake last year we continue to have similar idle problem. Beside new spark plugs and TPS plug, what else could cause the idle problem?
    Replace the TPS.

Further diagnostics with that old TPS installed are not useful.

K447,

Thanks for all your help. I'll place an order for the TPS later today. I don't know what I'd done without your help.

I got a new TPS and installed it but the still have the similar result. After restarting numerous times and the engine is warmed up I am able to idle and run fine.

We took the virage txi out yesterday. Initially it bogs alot. After running it for a while it'd run fine and it top speed was over 55 mph. Today I try to restart the engine and had the same problem. It won't idle. It starts up but won't idle. Initially after a few seconds it'd die. The more I restart the engine the longer it'd idle. Eventually it'd idle and ran ok but it idles a bit rough. I am so frustrated with this virage txi.

I look at the EMM and it appeared corroded on the outside. I'll take the EMM out and inspect it further later this week.

+1
    Connect a multi-meter to the White/Red wires and measure the DC voltage. One probe to White/Red, the other probe to engine ground.

Do not unplug any fuel injectors yet. Find a place to tap into the White/Red wires, anywhere. You may find a splice connection that you can remove the cover.

During cranking, voltage should be over 20 volts. As soon as the engine starts, voltage should jump up to over 40 volts, and hover near 45 volts as RPM is increased.

If injector voltage at idle is too low, the engine will not work properly.

While cranking voltage was over 20 volts. Once the engine starts, the voltage fluctuate between 45 - 55 volts. When voltage decreases below 44 volts the engine dies. The engine rpm increases/decreases similar to the voltages. Any more ideas???

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information