95 SL650 slow throttle response

Ok 650 has a slow throttle response up to wot. It takes forever for it to get up to speed then when you do and put it in a turn it bogs down to about 1/3 throttle. It ran great last year. Then I decided to have the carbs rebuilt locally. The guy supposedly synced them and it runs great. It starts and idles good just slow power. I did find two fuel lines he didnt tighten down and fixed that but it still has slow response and bogs way down in turns. It still has the old one outlet pump which I am replacing. Also I found that too cold of a plug was in the pto cylinder. Would that make a difference? It had a NGKbpr8es not a NGKbpr7es like the other two cylinders.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Was the impeller swapped by chance?

no it wasnt. still running the stock impeller.

+1
    This sounds interesting.....

It's uncommon for the ski to take a while to build up RPM. Normally it winds right up, or it wants to stall and die. Not necessarily taking time to build RPM.

Have you contacted the guy that rebuilt the carbs? Maybe arrange a meeting down at the water and let him take it out?

If there's no chance of that happening, you're going to have to check your adj screw settings and compare/set them to the book.

If that doesn't solve it, the carbs are going to come off, and the internals checked. You have to be certain what you're starting with.

Proper size jets, proper size needle and seats, proper pop off pressure, clean filters and no worn parts.

I could try contacting him but its the busy season and the experience was not that good. Would've done it myself but had other things to fix so I thought I could free up time. Looks like ill spend it finishing the job. So I will Pbly set the carbs to spec. You don't think the one incorrect plug would make a difference?

+1
    Not at all.

I actually recommend the BPR8ES plugs over the 7's anyway.

Ok. I've always used 7 's on the 650 because that's what the manual said. I am pretty positive after finding lines loose and talking to You that I will need to take the carbs back to factory specs. Thank-you.

+1
    sounds like the low speed screws on turned out too much..your choking the engine with gas.. The low speed circuit is for 0-30 mph. then the highs are for mid and top end.. just an idea.. bright blue spark?

incidentally, this has nothing to do with your problem, but,,, exlint said, its unusual for a ski to boog on plane. My pro did that exact same thing but because the exhaust controllers were not opening the exhaust valves.. the wire came off in the ebox.

Yeah I checked the spark and it all seems good. I really think you're correct with the screws on the carbs. Being the guy who rebuilt them didn't tighten two fuel lines down and one fell off when I tested it. It is better with those two lines attached and tight but it still takes too long to get up to speed. If You take it from idle to wot It takes a long time to get up to speed and then looses it all in a turn.

+1

Thread Information