Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My winter projects for the ski.. need advice...

Ok... not knowing much about this myself, let me first state that... but say I wanted to do a head rebuild... but I wanted to go with an oversized bore.. how would one go about doing it... and what oversize do you guys recommend for the best increased performance? My compression is good now 110 per cylinder... but I might get time to do this project during the winter months... should I just buy a rebuild kit like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-T...06497334QQrdZ1

And then take off my cylinders and take them to.. where...? to have them bored? These guys that are selling the rebuild kit above say that they will bore the cylinders for $35 a hole... or can I find a better deal elsewhere? what do you guys think...

What have you guys done?

I would really like to do this when I get some spair change this winter and so I will have a "new" ski when next summer rolls around...

would a 1.00 oversize bore be what I would want?

Perhaps I just need to be schooled on a few things regarding the above suject... a few gaps filled in... I don't know..

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Jared

+1
    What type of craft are we talking about???

I have a 96 sl780...

+1
    Where are you located?

I am in hickville... (kannapolis NC... about 30 minutes north of Charlotte)

+1
    I use TDR for my cylinder work he (Tony) does a great job. Fast turnaround $35 per hole and he is in FL http://www.tdrracing.com/tdrracing/index.htm

How many holes are we talking here to use an oversized piston kit? I really don't know anything about this is why I'm asking... I don't even know how hard of a job it would be to remove the cylinders and re-install again with the new/refinished equipment... but the kit I posted.. is that what I need to look into getting? Are there cheaper ones out there? Bottom line, I don't want to spend over $500 for this project, in fact I don't want to spend close to that... as I only paid $1000 for the ski w/ cover and trailer and a huge raft with ski rope... so $500 in engine work when it's not really needed is out... unless there are some EXTREME gains from doing such a procedure...

What top speeds would I be looking at after having this done?

Can a person with some mechanical knowledge do this job? (removal and re-installation, not the actual boring etc..)

+1
    If your compression is good 110 is OK then do nothing and ride the piss out of it. Most of you speed gains will come from tuning and pump performance. Ie: ride plate intake grate extended pump. Do not shoot a horse until it's almost dead!!

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    If your compression is good, I wouldn't even bother. Look into the pro cdi and the dry pipe off a 92 650. It's been covered before. Then look into bigger carbs, ect. my 750 is 1mm over and you really can't tell the difference.

dry pipe off a 650... is that an exhaust pipe? I'm sorry I'm not kein on the terms... I am getting the CDI any day now (pro 785 programmable) Just did a search for "dry 650" in the polaris forum here in "search entire thread" came up nothing...

Bigger carbs.. like off of what are is that aftermarket?

Jared

Yes, I had a local pro that salvages and builds jet skis who specializes in polaris check it with his heavy duty gauge.. it's around 110 per cylinder he did a thorough test of the ski, backflushed it and said all was good... he didn't see any concern.

So... now that that is out of the way... I was also considering a carb rebuild... but now I can't seem to find a good priced set of reeds.. there are only like 1 set on ebay for a 900 sl...! What about tuning them.. is there an article somewhere or a DIY on how to do this? tweeking the carbs seems profitable to me.. but I don't know how...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information