+1

Variable Trim System (VTS) Study

Variable Trim System (VTS)..

I am pretty sure that this has been talked about but I can't seem to find much information on this.

The VTS system can trim the angle of the jet so the bow can be raised or lowered while in forward motion. I find it very useful and make huge differences in the performance and ride quality.

Sea Conditions
    The key is that I think it is directly related to the condition of the sea/lake you are riding in. For me I ride open sea (from very choppy to calm bays).

VTS trimmed to Bow Raised
    I used to set the VTS towards the bow down side because I didn't want to get so much air time while traveling at high speeds in choppy seas. I however have found out that if I raise the bow, I don't bounce that much higher but the landing (i.e. bottom of a wave) is much smoother. There is definitely a bigger bang on the butt but there is very little bow drag (where your body is thrown forward as your bow hits the water) But overall I find Bow raised setup is better for general rides. The stability is not being sacrificed. Just the same as those speed boats with the bow almost pointing up into the sky. That way the back of the jet is hitting the water most of the time and propelling the jetski. And you get less bow drag.

VTS trimmed to Bow Lowered
    VTS setting > bow lowered is good for cornering and circling and I think even in calm waters, the lowered bow will slow the boat down.

Just some thoughts from my personal experience. Am I getting it right?

I agree, trimmed up seems to help you ride over the waves instead of through them so much. But you have to find the sweet spot, to high and I launch off them. One or two clicks above neutral is where I usually cruise on my RXP. Trimmed down helps hole shot, so it makes me run the buoys in the lake a little faster (not race, just fun).

On a side note...the GTI my girlfriend rides handles it all sooooo much better than my RXP. I wanted a P instead of a T because it is just a little faster, but I think my next will be a 3 seater. I ride on bigger lakes now and am tired of getting the crap beat out of me regardless of the trim.

+1
    Thanks for sharing! I further tested it yesterday when the seas were very choppy. You are right. Setting it 2-3steps above the middle VTS level is the best. If I set it too high, I get launched into the air too much and the landings are very rough. I have the 3 seater with suspension otherwise it would be so difficult to get through the big waves at speed. I can't imagine what it would be like on a 2 seater RXP. Must be so scary...

It all depends on the sea/lake conditions that you ride on.

Also, if the VTS is raised to the max while speeding on very calm waters it seems to give me the best top speed as the bow is raised for minimum drag.

Another interesting point is that I usually set the VTS to the lowest level to drop the Bow, when there are debris or junk around so I don't suck in the garbage and jam my jet so easily. I'm not sure if this is effective tho.

+1
    I have also noticed that when I go out and offshore. When you have the trim 2-3 clicks above neutral what happens is that you clear a couple waves (You get some pretty sweet air) and if landed right it's not as bad on your butt then with the trim in the middle or all the way down.

Maybe that's why pros have changed to gti

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ImAShark View Post
    I have also noticed that when I go out and offshore. When you have the trim 2-3 clicks above neutral what happens is that you clear a couple waves (You get some pretty sweet air) and if landed right it's not as bad on your butt then with the trim in the middle or all the way down.
    The biggest difference is that your bow get raised immediately before it hits the waves as soon as your rear jet pump lands (usually the jet pump land first). This way you don't get thrown forward as the bow lands hard.

You will get relatively more air than when the trim is set down. But the trick is how you balance the jetski when you are in the air. Keep your body centered to the line of gravity (ex. if your jet ski tilt to the left mid air, you tilt your upper body to the right to balance). This way it would be just like riding a ATV over the dunes. Go to the sea for practice and you will know what I mean.

I believe it is faster than having the bow land on a wave when VTS is set to middle or down.

Thread Information