Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bilge Water

Bilge Water

I'm wondering if anyone with a 2009/10 iS or 2010 RXT X has had a problem with water in their bilge.

I've ridden my 2010 RXT X three times since purchasing it 2 weeks ago. After the first ride in relatively calm water, I didn't notice any water in the bilge. This past weekend, I rode in rough water, getting the bow into several waves (not burying it though). One other problem was that for some reason I couldn't get the seat to lock down properly so as I was jumping waves (and I stood up), the seat was coming up with me. I've since been able to lock the seat down properly (I think the latch needs an adjustment).

After the above ride on Saturday, I noticed about 1" of water in the bilge just forward of (and as it turns out, under) the engine. I used a sponge to soak up a good portion of it as it didn't seem to drain out as I was riding in calmer waters at speed on Sunday. I wasn't able to get it all out though.

So my question is, do owners of this model or iS models have the same accumulation of water in the bilge, or did the water likely enter through the space between the seat and hull when it was not latched down properly?

For the record, in 6 years of ownership of my 2004 GTX SC, I never accumulated any water in the bilge, even after submarining the bow into a wave. Hopefully this isn't a problem and the water I got was a result of an improperly secured seat.

Thanks for the replies,

grover

+1
    The 2 rear covers are leaking......

Quote Originally Posted by grover432 View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone with a 2009/10 iS or 2010 RXT X has had a problem with water in their bilge.

I've ridden my 2010 RXT X three times since purchasing it 2 weeks ago. After the first ride in relatively calm water, I didn't notice any water in the bilge. This past weekend, I rode in rough water, getting the bow into several waves (not burying it though). One other problem was that for some reason I couldn't get the seat to lock down properly so as I was jumping waves (and I stood up), the seat was coming up with me. I've since been able to lock the seat down properly (I think the latch needs an adjustment).

After the above ride on Saturday, I noticed about 1" of water in the bilge just forward of (and as it turns out, under) the engine. I used a sponge to soak up a good portion of it as it didn't seem to drain out as I was riding in calmer waters at speed on Sunday. I wasn't able to get it all out though.

So my question is, do owners of this model or iS models have the same accumulation of water in the bilge, or did the water likely enter through the space between the seat and hull when it was not latched down properly?

For the record, in 6 years of ownership of my 2004 GTX SC, I never accumulated any water in the bilge, even after submarining the bow into a wave. Hopefully this isn't a problem and the water I got was a result of an improperly secured seat.

Thanks for the replies,

grover

Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    The 2 rear covers are leaking......
    I checked the stern, there was no water back there.

Bought my new RXT-X on Friday...we rode both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was pretty rough, I'm guessing 1-2 waves near Galveston Bay. I took one wave over the bow and it nearly knocked me off the seat...no water in the bilge.

It's probably your seat like you mentioned. I noticed that mine will sometimes click like its closed, but if I lift up on it to check, it comes right open. Its a tight latch, but I guess it has to be in order to keep it watertight.

+1
    no ski is water tight.... 2 cover at the rear will leak i can bet you that also check the bailer tubs are tighed up.

Quote Originally Posted by StretchTTU View Post
    Bought my new RXT-X on Friday...we rode both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was pretty rough, I'm guessing 1-2 waves near Galveston Bay. I took one wave over the bow and it nearly knocked me off the seat...no water in the bilge.

It's probably your seat like you mentioned. I noticed that mine will sometimes click like its closed, but if I lift up on it to check, it comes right open. Its a tight latch, but I guess it has to be in order to keep it watertight.
    Thanks Stretch,

It sounds like if yours was dry in rough conditions, mine likely got wet because of the seat opening with each wave. I'm going to dry the rest of the water up (not sure how) and then head out into some rough water this weekend. Out of curiosity, why do you suppose the water didn't exit through the self bailing system??

Thanks Stretch,

It sounds like if yours was dry in rough conditions, mine likely got wet because of the seat opening with each wave. I'm going to dry the rest of the water up (not sure how) and then head out into some rough water this weekend. Out of curiosity, why do you suppose the water didn't exit through the self bailing system??
    No idea why the self bailing system didnt work...couldn't tell you how it works anyway. HAHA

Thanks Stretch,

Looks like I jinxed myself...went out for a quick ride today and found about 1 inch of water in the bilge when I got back to the dock.

Quote Originally Posted by StretchTTU View Post
    Looks like I jinxed myself...went out for a quick ride today and found about 1 inch of water in the bilge when I got back to the dock.
    Any idea how it got in? Were you riding in rough water or on a smooth surface? Furthermore, why aren't you at work??

Did you try drying off the rear ports and then inspecting the stern under the covers for water?

It is a bit of a pain in the a**. If it is coming in the ports I'm going to silicone mine down (if extra closed cell foam doesn't work). I don't need access except for the fuses and battery and I've never had a fuse failure in my other crafts. I'm also going to talk to the dealer about the problem if I continue to get water in the bilge after securing the seat.

Any idea how it got in? Were you riding in rough water or on a smooth surface? Furthermore, why aren't you at work??

Did you try drying off the rear ports and then inspecting the stern under the covers for water?

It is a bit of a pain in the a**. If it is coming in the ports I'm going to silicone mine down (if extra closed cell foam doesn't work). I don't need access except for the fuses and battery and I've never had a fuse failure in my other crafts. I'm also going to talk to the dealer about the problem if I continue to get water in the bilge after securing the seat.
    No clue how it got in. I was riding on smooth surface, and the part that worries me is that I wasn't on the water for very long. After about 15-20 mins of riding, the supercharger hose came loose and I returned to the dock. I'm off today because I have to work on Saturday (bummer).

Sorry, couldn't tell you how to fix yours. I don't have much experience with jet skis cause this is the first one I have owned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information