Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Keeping skis safe while on vacation

I am planning on taking my 2 skis on vacation with me..Were staying at a hotel ...What is the best way to secure these things at night in the parking lot so they dont walk away...Chains park in a certin areas ..

+1
    Do you have an aftermarket alarm on your tow vehicle? On my old tow vehicle, I had an accessory added to the alarm that had a 25' length of wire that I could take out the back window and put through the tow loops. If the wire was cut, the alarm on the truck would sound. I don't travel as much with mine since I had my kids so I haven't installed an alarm on my new tow vehicle.

+1
    I always leave mine connected to my truck and park somewhere I take up 2 places.

+1
    I would run a really thick chain through the trailer rims of both tires and maybe run the chain through a tow eye of the ski itself.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    find a corner between a dumpster and a fence. keep it hooked up to the truck so the trailer doesnt go for a walk. or just ask if you can park just infront of the door. ive done it and some are friendly to the idea some arent

They are going to let me have a dock...With cleat tie downs ..now i have to figure out how to secure them to the cleat tie downs.

well after searching around ..I feel this will do the best job...

http://www.alarmlocks.com/

Lets face it ..if someone wants them that bad there gone..I DOO have a backup.Plan.Thats replacement cost now insurance..10g each doo..thats a goodpiece of mind....These are pretty loud when the chain is broken..And will be on the second floor facing the docks too..So thanks for the suggestions guys ..

+1
    I always get a kick out of these threads.
    I like the alarm lock.

With regard to chains: they are the easiest thing to defeat. A big pair of cutters can cut a chain in a few seconds. A big cable lock is better, but still only slows them down a bit.

As far as keeping the trailer hooked up to the truck: a smart boat thief will carry a spare trailer hitch, they are connected by only two bolts; he can take those off, remove your trailer and replace the hitch in a few minutes and "poof," -- he's gone.

Your best bet is to put them in a well-lit, high traffic area, with a wheel lock and a combination of several other measures that are designed to slow the thief down, but even that is not totally foolproof. You need to realize you cannot totally secure your skis; several big guys can lift your ski, put it on a cart and haul it off in a truck.

A few days ago someone put up a video a guy took of a thief stealing his ski for the SECOND TIME. That thief had a device designed to defeat the BRP DESS system; in a matter minutes he had started it and drove it away from the dock. They are getting smarter every day.

The alarm is a great idea, but if they want them, they are going to get them, so make sure you have INSURANCE.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    where are you going Tom?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    I always get a kick out of these threads.
    I like the alarm lock.
    As far as keeping the trailer hooked up to the truck: a smart boat thief will carry a spare trailer hitch, they are connected by only two bolts; he can take those off, remove your trailer and replace the hitch in a few minutes and "poof," -- he's gone.
    Damn, I never really thought about that. I guess like they say, "if someone wants it bad enough"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information