having problems keeping my 95 800 xp running

hi everyone, having problems keeping my 95 80 xp running. it starts out strong then after about 10 min it starts to bog down and then dies.. but it wil then start right back up.. but then die again after about half throttle. after about to third or fourth attmpt to keep it running it will not turn over anymore. i wait about 25 min then get it started and it will limp back in to the dock at half throttle.. i replaced all of the grey hosses for the fuel line and the oil line. cleaned the filters and relpaced the spark plugs.. maybe it could be the rectifier?? if so how do you check if it is bad? or maybe its the ground?? any ideas?

been around the block Stagesrt4's Avatar
    clean the fuel selector as well?

is it old gas?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    hi everyone, having problems keeping my 95 80 xp running. it starts out strong then after about 10 min it starts to bog down and then dies.. but it wil then start right back up.. but then die again after about half throttle. after about to third or fourth attmpt to keep it running it will not turn over anymore. i wait about 25 min then get it started and it will limp back in to the dock at half throttle.. i replaced all of the grey hosses for the fuel line and the oil line. cleaned the filters and relpaced the spark plugs.. maybe it could be the rectifier?? if so how do you check if it is bad? or maybe its the ground?? any ideas?
    when you check the rectifier, you unhook the red wire that connects to it. It will stop the unit from charging the battery as well. So don't run too long on it

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    sounds like a bad ground...does it bog after you hit a wake? I think that you may have corrosion on the ground under the motor. its easier to cut off the one on the bottom of the engine and run a new ground to the (if standing behind it) front right side under the carbs just behind the stator cover there is a good size bolt that has a clamp for a fuel line bolt to that and see if that solves your problems

I replaced all of the Tempo fuel line, cleaned the fuel selector switch and carbs. There was not much debris at all. One thing that I did notice was one of the rave valves has a trail or oil coming from the opening behind it. I removed it and took the paddle off and the diaphram was not torn anywhere. The other rave is dry as a bone. This trail of oil looks to be burnt, it is not fresh fuel/oil mix. Do I have a problem with rings or maybe a piston???. I looked through the manual on this rave valve but could not find a bunch of info on it. What does this valve do?

Thread Information