Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

1997 GP 1200 fuel filter?

I'm doing some fuel system work on my GP (replacing sender) and I just noticed that the fuel filter has a bunch of dark looking gunk down at the bottom. My local Yamaha motorsports dealer is closed on Mondays. I'm going to assume they have them in stock.

Do I need the real thing or can I just replace it with some "generic" small fuel filter that I pick up from NAPA or Advance Auto Parts. I want to take the ski out for a ride tomorrow morning. I'll wait if I have to, though so give me your thoughts. Thanks.

Danny

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyual777 View Post
    I'm doing some fuel system work on my GP (replacing sender) and I just noticed that the fuel filter has a bunch of dark looking gunk down at the bottom. My local Yamaha motorsports dealer is closed on Mondays. I'm going to assume they have them in stock.

Do I need the real thing or can I just replace it with some "generic" small fuel filter that I pick up from NAPA or Advance Auto Parts. I want to take the ski out for a ride tomorrow morning. I'll wait if I have to, though so give me your thoughts. Thanks.

Danny
    Replace it with the exact same filter. Its worth the extra few $ for the peace of mind. I just paid $15 for a new one.

Adam

+1
    Adam, for 15 bucks or so I'd be glad to buy a new, OEM filter.

It is item #9 in this link.
    http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/pag...d/default.aspx

I just got off the phone with my local Yamaha motorsports dealer and I confirmed the part number with them. Get this, they want $31.99 !

+1
    I just tested my link in my post above and it just goes to their "home" page. Sorry about that. Anyway, my local place is conducting highway robbery and I won't be a victim of it!

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....e=13&A=70&B=10

Use the OE Parts finder on greenhulk. On the top of this forum there is a link to "Greenhulk OE Replacement Parts Store". It looks like its $20 through there.

Try boats.net,most reasonable prices i have found on waverunner parts,and they are in Florida.

+1
    Better yet grab one from OsideBill he sells a carbon copy Riva replacement for $15.

+1
    My friend is big into bringing jet skis back from the dead. He said that he just installs a generic (Purolator) small, plastic gas filter. I bought one from Advance Auto Parts for about $4.50 and installed it. It seems to be doing what its supposed to do.

I think that I'll just order the real thing from one of the websites that you guys linked when I buy my carb rebuild kits. However for now, I think that my Purolator filter will do just fine.

+1
    Be careful...that is an "element" filter....and the OEM is a mesh filter. You will need to pay special attention to that because if she plugs up ...boom your engine is dead from running lean.

M

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyual777 View Post
    My friend is big into bringing jet skis back from the dead. He said that he just installs a generic (Purolator) small, plastic gas filter. I bought one from Advance Auto Parts for about $4.50 and installed it. It seems to be doing what its supposed to do.

I think that I'll just order the real thing from one of the websites that you guys linked when I buy my carb rebuild kits. However for now, I think that my Purolator filter will do just fine.
    I have run the purolator and they work fine! Just check them more often! Lee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information