View Poll Results: Should the Wrangler tow the Speedster covered or not?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cover

5 50.00%
  • No cover

5 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Poll: Cover and tow advice, please (quick responses appreciated)

We are taking the Speedster on a 7-hr round-trip, leaving tomorrow morning. I am the 2nd owner of the boat and previous owner always towed with the cover on and the boat was towed from CA to CO with the cover on. I can definitely tell the gelcoat has taken some damage from this practice. Not a major deal, but not perfect.

I haul with a Jeep Wrangler, which has no storage space. The coolers, clothes, ropes, tubes, etc. all must travel in the boat, not the Jeep. The Jeep has 33" tires and sprays sand and road crap on the boat.

So, should I tow with the cover or not?

Pro - Keep all gear inside the boat and away from prying eyes, boat stays clean, doesn't get sandblasted from Jeep.

Con - Boat gelcoat may take some more damage (or maybe the damage is already done)

+1
    I took a 10hr trip with the cover on and the poles that hold the cover up broke. If your going to use the cover while towing don't use the poles. Just ratchet everything down very tight and secure the straps so they don't flap around and you should be fine.

the same thing happened to me when i bought the boat the dealer told me i could leve the cover on and the poles broke

You guys have got me confused - I don't have any poles. Maybe the previous owner did(?) They must suspend the cover up off of the gelcoat?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy on the water View Post
    You guys have got me confused - I don't have any poles. Maybe the previous owner did(?) They must suspend the cover up off of the gelcoat?

no, they just stand up in the middle of the boat to keep water from pooling on top of the cover in the rain.

I've never had any luck with covers on, once they come off(even a little bit, or just a corner) at highway speeds they get torn to shreds in minutes...

I have one of those vacu-covers. It has suction ports and at highway speed there is very very little ruffling of the cover, everything is sucked down and stays in one place.

Now I like to take care of my boat, but I did buy it second hand and one of the benefits is it came with a few marks on it. I can't tell if I have added any by using the vacu-cover or not. But it isn't so significant that it bothers me if it does...

The cover worked great. But I fried a wheel bearing QUICKLY on my 300-mile journey. Showed up at the lake and heard bad squeeling on a sharp turn into lodge. Got out and shocked to see bearings gone, hub chewed up, and axle just riding on the nut.. barely.. jacked it up and could nearly pull the mounted tire right off the axle(!!!) Did oil change, SC metal washers, impeller, trailer plates, etc... one thing I hadn't got around to yet was greasing the bearings. Turned out that was what I needed the most. Lost a whole day tracking down a hub, bearings, and axle nut.

How many miles on the trailer and do you use it in the salt? Just curious- seems like a quick failure for such a new trailer. Mine is 2006 and I probably only haul it 1000 km per year but I do grease them every season at the beginning.

I'd hate to have that problem half way to the destination though.

+1
    I think this has happend to almost everyone.... When my folks bought their boat after the 7hr drive the bearing in one of the wheels locked up in the driveway, VERY lucky on are part aswell as yours that it wasnt on the side of the road somewhere.I find the longer you drive with the trailer after going in the water the better it is. I drive across the street to the ramp so mine doesnt usually get used much which IMO is bad cause the water just sits in the hubs. Also if you havent get your self a set of bearbuddys, thier rubber caps that fit over the hub to helps seal water out and there dirt cheap....

also if its an OEM cover dont tow with the cover. your boat and cover will get more wear by leaving it on while towing, dealer towed my boat with the cover on cause they were to lazy to take it off, anyways the poles ended up broken... I towed mine even in the winter with no cover and never had any problems....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information