Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pull Cylinder OR FLYWHEEL

My 96 700 slt engine is jamming up, I thought it was a possible broken ring but after pulling the heads the cylinders look good. The driveshaft is out so it's not the pump. When i turn the engine by hand I can hear a little tinkling of metal falling on metal and the occasional jamming of the engine. One of my plugs seemed darker than the other, not sure which side it came from. I am thinking I'll have to pull my cylinders off next. One of my snowmobile friends suggested to remove the flywheel first as a magnet or something may have come loose and is jamming back there I've posted some pics, the damage on one of the heads was from before the previous rebuild. All thoughts are appreciated.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pwc pics 014.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	193678

Name:	pwc pics 007.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	193679

Name:	pwc pics 008.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	193680

Name:	pwc pics 010.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	193682

Name:	pwc pics 011.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	193683

Last pic....something's been smashed in to the head...repeatedly. Probably a piece of ring or a piece of bearing or shim from the crank. Same thing happened on my 900.

I'd pull the jugs and inspect the crank and cases for debris. (See if you can drop a pen magnet in to the bottom of the case and see what sticks to it.)

The head damage was from before the previous rebuild.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Couldn't hurt to check inside the stator cover,that is a possiblity. You say you can hear it? if so you should be able to use a staphscope to determine if it's in the very front of the engine or back under the cyl's. Normally a crank loosing bearings will not totally lock a engine dead without seeing signs up in the cyls and pistons.

+1
    i would replace that head..

there does not look like any scaring.. and when you took the heads off there was no shavings? not even a little bit?

No there wern't any shavings that I could see.

+1
    The plug on the left looks fine. nice orangish brown indicates a good burn, the other is cooked. from heat.

excellent piston wash! thats about perfect in my opinion, wow. you can even see the tranfer ports with the long washes. thats the best ive ever seen.. if your wash was that good, it wasnt the carbs. something broke or got caught on a ridge orinjested something.

you used the old head beat up like that? that wasnt a good idea. i would of changed that instantly..why did you use that? in ahurry? broke? that can cause imcomplete burning, detonation and pre-ignition and loss of power and top speed..

if the magnets on the wheel fell off. it would just fall into the bottom of the stator cover.. then stop bouncing.. maybe a roller brearing came apart? or a ring land or ring parts or land parts.. I'd take the motor apart completly and give it and eye ball check up close, clean everything and see what ya have left thats good.

The engine was rebuilt at a shop where the guy was supposed to be "good"!!
    He said he could just reuse it. Being a my first ski and not knowing any better I belived him. That was before I was even aware of this site and it's helpful people

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    If it were mine, I would pull the engine and tear it down. If there is debris in the crankcase it could end up costing you an engine. It doesn't take long to remove the engine. I would at least pull the jugs off and check for ANY sign of debris on the crank, if there is ANYTHING that looks gritty or questionable, then I would split the case and thoroughly clean the crank and crankcase. A few days worth of evenings, but worth it in the end.

Oh, and I would replace that head too. I had one that was damaged a bit in my wife's ski and I just replaced it. Someone here probably has an extra you could get at a reasonable price.

Thanks for everybodies input I guess Iknow what i"ll be doing this wekend !!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information