Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

OMG My PWC sling broke and dropped my ski!

Holey crap, has anyone had one of these fail ?I left my ski hanging while i went to the paint store today and came home to find my ski on the ground and the nylon sling un threaded its self. I am so thankful that i wasnt under it at the time. This is one that was rated for 1500 lbs off of ebay. I am going to call them in the morning pics are coming soon! I hope i didnt damage the ski too badly. I had just put my last skim coat on and was about to primer the ski!!! so thankful that i wasnt under the ski when it happened i have spent literally 20+ hours under my ski while hoisted with these things. Odd part is yesterday i was sitting there thnking that would suck if it dropped the ski. Scarey stuff. I would recomend a back up type jack stand system for anyone using these things and to not leave your ski hanging for any amount of time! Pics on the way...

Edit Read post below** was wrong on rating of sling

+1
    Lucky duck! To think i get nervous with my hands under the ride plate when i shift it on the trailer to get to bolts! i always think, "what if the slips and crushes my hand"? Even if it doesnt hurt me i cut a finger off awhile back so im extra cautious now haha!

Let me edit this quick after further review. I remember ordering and paying for the beefy 1500 lb slings costing somewhere north of 160 off ebay last year but when i just went outside to take pics and looked at the tag on one of them it said 750 lb rating. This being the case it was 100% my fault for lifting a xlt 1200 on these things without verifying the slings really quickly. once again i suppose it was my own ignorance. I am just happy to be alive because i was coming home to do some sanding and maybe tape off to prime it tomorrow.

I will use more caution in the future...

Side note i am quite lucky the hull isnt cracked or anything just some scrapes and ill be able to fix those just gonna set me back a few more days and shipping time to get new slings...

+1
    Good thing you were not under that I would hate to read about this in the headlines.

Like i said i have literally spent 20+ hours under that ski held by those slings. I had that hull just about as perfect as you could get. It has me quite shaken that i was literally coming home to work under it when this happened. I honestly thought i had the 1500lb version of these slings. Lesson well learned to pay better attention and double check all equipment before using it. I hope if anyone considers over loading a set of these that they will think twice because this could have been a bad bad darwin award.

On a side note Bill thank you so much for all your help in messages.

Man you spent 20 hrs under that thing and the sling broke just as you came back home. You should go play the lottery tonight. Glad to hear you were not working on it when it gave way.

Personally, i wouldn't crawl under a ski supported by a sling...that's like crawling under a car with just a jack holding it up...a no no if you ask me. Aren't those slings only designed to move the ski?..not hold it up for long periods of time?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    There are good reasons for taking the engine out and turning the hull upside down to work on the bottom.

This would be one of those reasons!

Certianly I would never put myself underneath a PWC that was only supported by a sling. Not even a brand name, well known sling brand.

eBay sling - well, it wasn't made by eBay. What brand was it?

Do you really want to trust your LIFE with an off brand sling?

+1
    A good thought is, maybe you have helped someone who might have tried the same thing in the future, and now decides to flip it instead of slinging it. I know I'd think twice now before I'd crawl around under one that was hanging on a sling.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    Personally, i wouldn't crawl under a ski supported by a sling...that's like crawling under a car with just a jack holding it up...a no no if you ask me. Aren't those slings only designed to move the ski?..not hold it up for long periods of time?

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

According to my Overton's catalog, they sell a 1000lb sling (part # 33816) and the "note" says,

"For safety reasons, lift slings are recommended only for moving PWC from water to storage, not for long-term storage."

Glad to hear that you weren't under that thing when that sling let go!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information