+1

MoTeC RPM Sensor Follow up Questions

Hello Pete,

Thanking for advising me on the forum as to what might be the problem with my RPM's not working anymore. Since then, I have unplugged the sensor. I believe I have the correct sensor. I unplugged the one in the picture below with the RED arrow. I left it unplugged for about 23 hours. I just went to plug it back in and I fired up the motor. The RPM gauge still does not work. The RPM gauge when I first start it goes all the way to 8,000 RPM's like it always does then comes back down to zero, but normally after that starting process it registers at 1450 RPM's or so. Should I let it stay unplugged longer. I thought I had some compressed air around the house I could spray to try and dry it out more. I don't feel any moisture when I touched the sensor. If the sensor is no longer functioning, is this something easy to replace? And what type of costs are involved?

Thank you for your help. I don't plan on taking it on the water until I get this fixed. When you said other alarms may not be working, it got me worried. I know the fuel alarm works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Motec Sensor.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	193830  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas View Post
    Hello Pete,

Thanking for advising me on the forum as to what might be the problem with my RPM's not working anymore. Since then, I have unplugged the sensor. I believe I have the correct sensor. I unplugged the one in the picture below with the RED arrow. I left it unplugged for about 23 hours. I just went to plug it back in and I fired up the motor. The RPM gauge still does not work. The RPM gauge when I first start it goes all the way to 8,000 RPM's like it always does then comes back down to zero, but normally after that starting process it registers at 1450 RPM's or so. Should I let it stay unplugged longer. I thought I had some compressed air around the house I could spray to try and dry it out more. I don't feel any moisture when I touched the sensor. If the sensor is no longer functioning, is this something easy to replace? And what type of costs are involved?

Thank you for your help. I don't plan on taking it on the water until I get this fixed. When you said other alarms may not be working, it got me worried. I know the fuel alarm works.
    Ok
    1. There is nothing wrong with the crank sensor or its connector as the engine is still running

2. Does this have a MoTeC on it or not?

If yes then find the KTC and check out its connector and the KTC itself
    If you find nothing and can get yours hands on another KTC then that would be worth a crack.

Cheers

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTeC Pete View Post
    Ok
    1. There is nothing wrong with the crank sensor or its connector as the engine is still running

2. Does this have a MoTeC on it or not?

If yes then find the KTC and check out its connector and the KTC itself
    If you find nothing and can get yours hands on another KTC then that would be worth a crack.

Cheers
    Hello Pete,

Yes my Yamaha FZR has a MoTeC on it. I have located the KTC. I unplugged it. I did not feel any moisture. If I need to replace the KTC and connector, do I go thru my dealer here in California (Nils)? Is it the actual black KTC box or the entire KTC + Connector? What type of costs am I looking at?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas View Post
    Hello Pete,

Yes my Yamaha FZR has a MoTeC on it. I have located the KTC. I unplugged it. I did not feel any moisture. If I need to replace the KTC and connector, do I go thru my dealer here in California (Nils)? Is it the actual black KTC box or the entire KTC + Connector? What type of costs am I looking at?

Hi Carlos
    Diagnosis first.
    Can you send a known good start file at the ECU to make sure the configuration for the comms is correct.

Next thing is to remove the adapter loom and check all the connectors there, then see if Nils has a spare KTC in stock that he might lend you.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Hello !
    I am also a new member. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guy !

This ever get resolved?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    This ever get resolved?
    This weekend, I plugged in my KTC unit after letting it sit for 10 days. I turned on the FZR and the RPM gauge worked. Nils was going to send me a KTC unit to test and see if that was the problem. And Pete was going to make sure my KTC unit got fixed. But since it fixed itself...no further action is required. I assume that water got into the sealed unit, which caused it to stop working. I guess it is dried out and fully functional.

I think I am going to take some gorilla tape and make my own seal around the KTC unit so that water has less of a chance to get inside. I am also going to locate it right on top of the bulkhead wall just above the ECU so that water has less of a chance of getting to it. In addition, I am going to make sure the unit is secured so that the wire that goes into it is pointing down, so water cannot trickle into the KTC unit. I would recommend all MoTeC Marine owners to pay attention and take extra steps to protect the KTC unit.

Thread Information