Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kawasaki CV Carb Question

Does anyone know what makes the slides slide? With the engine running at idle and looking down from the top all three are stationary. When reving the front one opens up about 3/4 inch and the other 2 do not move. Is this normal. This is on a 1100zxi. I also a 900sts and there seems to be little or no movement when doing the same. If this amount of movement is not normal, what could be causing it? The 1100zxi runs poorly and seems to sometimes run on all 3 cylinders and then bogs like it is running on only 2.

John

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=126389

I had a similar problem with my ultra. Make sure the f/a rings are on properly. Never worked on your ski but would think it would be the same. All 3 should slide evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapal79 View Post
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=126389

I had a similar problem with my ultra. Make sure the f/a rings are on properly. Never worked on your ski but would think it would be the same. All 3 should slide evenly.
    I'm not sure what f/a rings are. I was thinking that they should all move evenly. I guess I will need to take them back apart and find out why.

John

I have a 900STX with CV Keihn carbs, and from what I can tell they look just like my carbs on my ATV, and they are vacuum operated. You have a butterfly to control flow for the engine with the throttle, and as vacuum increases, the slides open giving it more fuel. If you take the carb apart I bet there is a diaphram inside there that controls the slide through vacuum, if it's torn then it can't move the slides. It could also be a vacuum line if there is one, but I've only looked at these carbs once since I got it last week

Good luck

i'm looking at a parts diagram and don't think the carbs are mounted the same way as an ultra. Sorry. But if you remove the Flame arrestor you will see the slots on top of the barrels that im talking about. Blow a small amount of air in them and see if the slides move.

i have circled what i'm talking about on the pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slots.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	193950  

Quote Originally Posted by Dapal79 View Post
    i'm looking at a parts diagram and don't think the carbs are mounted the same way as an ultra. Sorry. But if you remove the Flame arrestor you will see the slots on top of the barrels that im talking about. Blow a small amount of air in them and see if the slides move.

i have circled what i'm talking about on the pic
    I will try that.

I guess my problem is knowing if the problem is with the one that is moving too easily or the 2 that do not seem to move much. I have a second set of these carbs and none of the 3 seem to move much.

Does anyone know how much they should open at 5000 - 6000 RPM. The only one that I have that opens is about 3/4 inch at 5000 - 6000 RPM.

I just had another thought. When installing these diaphragms they do not stay in the grove. I was assuming that they were aligned by installing the cover. If they do not, then maybe I found my problem. You can't see them once the cover is installed.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCiccarelli View Post
    I just had another thought. When installing these diaphragms they do not stay in the grove. I was assuming that they were aligned by installing the cover. If they do not, then maybe I found my problem. You can't see them once the cover is installed.

Any thoughts?
    I looked at a spare carb and it does not look like the cover will align the diaphragm. Is there a trick to keeping it in the groove when installing the cover? Glue maybe?

a little grease rubbed in the grove helps.

Quote Originally Posted by btldigger View Post
    a little grease rubbed in the grove helps.
    I took them apart and sure enough the diaphragms were not in the groove. Morris, Thanks for the pointer to use some grease to keep them in place when installing the covers. This worked great and all 6 carbs are sliding the same.

Next is the water test.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information