+1

Broken grate & ride plate question

This weekend a friend had the 4 rear bolts in the intake grate break off on an '07 Ultra 250X (stock). Kawi said it's not under warranty b/c he was supposed to have the bolts inspected/tightened at least 5 times (since he bought it new) by the dealer.

It's now in the shop and the dealer has to pull the engine to do internal hull work and replace the grate/ride plate.

Has anybody ever had this issue before or any suggestions at this point...

+1
    ask for the salt and tequila never heard of it happening before

Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    This weekend a friend had the 4 rear bolts in the intake grate break off on an '07 Ultra 250X (stock). Kawi said it's not under warranty b/c he was supposed to have the bolts inspected/tightened at least 5 times (since he bought it new) by the dealer.

It's now in the shop and the dealer has to pull the engine to do internal hull work and replace the grate/ride plate.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post

drill the bolt heads off if any remaining are rounded.
    remove the grate
    drill and re-tap threads on the ones you cant get out with extractor etc

have done this process on a few of my old Yami's or 2nd hand ski I have owned in the past..

engine removal is the last step for me

they obviously are not a true mechanical workshop if they wont try alternative ways first

Waz

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    ask for the salt and tequila never heard of it happening before
    I think my friend has already taken his prescription drink.

Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    drill the bolt heads off if any remaining are rounded.
    remove the grate
    drill and re-tap threads on the ones you cant get out with extractor etc

have done this process on a few of my old Yami's or 2nd hand ski I have owned in the past..

engine removal is the last step for me

they obviously are not a true mechanical workshop if they wont try alternative ways first

Waz
    Well, he's got it at the dealership that he bought it from. I don't know anything about them, but if they're going at it from the wrong direction, maybe it's just another case of padding the bill.

Thanks for the input.

I just lost 5 of 8 bolts from rideplate. They just fell out. I dont know if it was 1 at a time or all at once. But effect on handling and top end occurred all at once which is when I checked the ride plate and discovered problem. I was lucky in that there was no damage or high speed ejection. But I realized plate and intake bolts should be checked before every ride. I failed in that regard but for once in my life I got lucky and sufferred no damage.

The warranty question is interesting. I cannot imagine someone taking ski to dealer just to tighten ride plate bolts 5X. Dealer may be giving correct answer but for wrong reasons. My personal opinion is that its every rider's responsibility to check those bolts before every ride. I cannot see a dealer (or Kawi) accepting warranty responsibility for those loose bolts unless customer can prove the ski likely left dealer's hands with loose bolts which they agreed or were responsible to tighten. In my opinion, the Kawi extended warranty is a great deal (when backed by reputable dealer) but coverage has limits.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    I just lost 5 of 8 bolts from rideplate. They just fell out. I dont know if it was 1 at a time or all at once. But effect on handling and top end occurred all at once which is when I checked the ride plate and discovered problem. I was lucky in that there was no damage or high speed ejection. But I realized plate and intake bolts should be checked before every ride. I failed in that regard but for once in my life I got lucky and sufferred no damage.

The warranty question is interesting. I cannot imagine someone taking ski to dealer just to tighten ride plate bolts 5X. Dealer may be giving correct answer but for wrong reasons. My personal opinion is that its every rider's responsibility to check those bolts before every ride. I cannot see a dealer (or Kawi) accepting warranty responsibility for those loose bolts unless customer can prove the ski likely left dealer's hands with loose bolts which they agreed or were responsible to tighten. In my opinion, the Kawi extended warranty is a great deal (when backed by reputable dealer) but coverage has limits.
    You just stated exactly what my friend said on the phone when he told me his story... wow. I'm a SeaDoo guy w/the same 2 bikes for 4 years now. I think I'll go check my grate & plate bolts before my next ride.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    That seems like BS about the checking them from the Dealer, as when they were original installed from the FACTORY they are supposed to have Loc Tite on them................

Hey and Billy that was a great ride wedensday heading to MudBug, glad we came down a day early and stopped for that ride.........

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250 Tn View Post
    That seems like BS about the checking them from the Dealer, as when they were original installed from the FACTORY they are supposed to have Loc Tite on them................

Hey and Billy that was a great ride wedensday heading to MudBug, glad we came down a day early and stopped for that ride.........
    No problem; it's a hard sell getting many folks who traveled hours to get down to MC to come back up 1.5 hours, but it's diff. if it's on your way. But I offer it, b/c I really believe it's one of the best rides around: As you saw, every 10 miles or so the scenery totally changes. That sure was a great ride and I'm glad ya'll made it.

And, man, did you call my cell at the right time... I looked up at the bridge and there ya'll were. Thanks, again, for joining me. And you guys don't have to wait till June to come down and ride... just say the word.

+1
    That sounds like one more in a long line of shade tree shops.

Thread Information