Rodney, you plonker...

RXP supercharger ceramic washers

Does anyone have any clues how i can check if the supercharger on my 2005 RXP has the standard ceramic washers or if they have been replaced with the stainless steel replacement ones? by looking down inside it, is it possible to tell? will i see a white ceramic washer, or will i see the silver stainless steel washer? or will i not see this from the outside without taking the supercharger apart if it sits behind the impellar?

I'm just not sure if its already been changed on its first service, and would like to check.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NtBlstr View Post
    Does anyone have any clues how i can check if the supercharger on my 2005 RXP has the standard ceramic washers or if they have been replaced with the stainless steel replacement ones? by looking down inside it, is it possible to tell? will i see a white ceramic washer, or will i see the silver stainless steel washer? or will i not see this from the outside without taking the supercharger apart if it sits behind the impellar?

I'm just not sure if its already been changed on its first service, and would like to check.
    You will have to remove your SC: http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13403

Once you've removed the charger, take a few pix of the shaft assembly and post them up; somebody will tell you which you have. BTW, it's very difficult (IMO) to tell them apart. The ceramics don't look like you think - they're actually "metallic" looking in appearance.

If it's determined that you still have ceramics, you'll want to send the SC to Jerry for a swap-out, or if near 100 hrs, for a full rebuild.

Good luck...

Rodney, you plonker...
    Up to 40 hours so far, service is due again at 50 hours, so i may just book it in to be done on the service if its still ceramics...

I've been quoted £100 (about $150) for stainless steel washers to be fitted, i'll take a look at the how-to you linked on removal first.

+1

Exclamation Don't wait

Quote Originally Posted by NtBlstr View Post
    Up to 40 hours so far, service is due again at 50 hours, so i may just book it in to be done on the service if its still ceramics...

I've been quoted £100 (about $150) for stainless steel washers to be fitted, i'll take a look at the how-to you linked on removal first.
    I would not wait for the 100 hr service!

I had 32 hrs. on my 04 GTX when I bought it.. I took the SC out immediatly and changed the ceramic washers to steel. Do NOT wait, my friend. If those ceramics go on you(and they can at any time)...you will be in a world of hurt ...$$$.(considerably more than $150)

Cheers
    Bill

+1
    I would have the ceramics removed before any further use.

Pics of ceramic washers,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SC washers 001.JPG 
Views:	499 
Size:	157.4 KB 
ID:	193959   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SC washers 002.JPG 
Views:	391 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	193960   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SC washers 003.JPG 
Views:	453 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	193961  

I pew pew lazors
    As Gator said the ceramics are a little hard to decipher since they're really close in appearance to metal but if you look closely they tend to have a very slightly greenish hue.

+1
    And ditto on the don't wait! Pull the SC ASAP - if they're ceramic, do not put one more hour on the bike. There are just too many horror stories on this forum about the ceramics crumbling w/less than 50 hours. And in some cases, much less.

+1
    Its easy to tell the ceramics, get your SCer out and take a pic of the clutch assembly, if they are ceramic one of the 2 will most likely be green if they have been replaced with the seadoo metals they are gold les cooks washers are gold as well, my last set were anyhow. Riva washers have Riva stamped on the side. R88

Thread Information