Too many toys, not enough time snoopy'sbitch's Avatar

newbie carb question

I'm replacing all the lines to the carbs and have a question. I took one carb apart, and need to know if I did everything that is supposed to be done. I took off the pump side, cleaned it all, and removed the 2 needles and cleaned them, as well as blew through them and the holes. I took off the oposite side, and cleaned the filter as best as i could, even might replace it. I took out the low and high adjustment needles, and cleaned through that. Is that it? I am running an r&d head, and it has pretty high compression. Should I drill out the needles on the fuel pump side to allow more fuel, or is that the point of the adjustments you can make on the carb housing. I am no carb expert, and just trying to make a nice reliable ski. Thanks to all your help
    P.S. sorry for my lack of carb lingo, I am explaining as best I can, but still a dope when it comes to carb stuff

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    you need to completely dissasemble each carb remove the needle and seat, and the fuel filter, in between there will be some gunk, clean them all out with carb cleaner, the fuel filter is cleaned best by using a pill bottle with acetone in it and shaking it up, use a Q tip to remove the rest. I recommend rebuilding them now that you have them off.

check your pop off pressure, on each carb. there are some videos on youtube and PWCtoday showing how to do it. also make sure the rocker on the needle seat side, make sure its flush, use a razor blade to make sure its flush, if you press the rocker flush and it slightly lifts up on the needle and seat you need to adjust it. it should not move the neadle and seat while its flush.

Too many toys, not enough time snoopy'sbitch's Avatar
    Ill check into the pop off pressure. I'm not even sure what pop off pressure means, but ill youtube it. I did take carb all apart. All the passages were clean, except the filter. Should the jets be changed, or im fine the way it is

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy'sbitch View Post
    Ill check into the pop off pressure. I'm not even sure what pop off pressure means, but ill youtube it. I did take carb all apart. All the passages were clean, except the filter. Should the jets be changed, or im fine the way it is

Click the link at the left that says Manuals at the bottom you will find the pwc applications. Many other good links to read up on as well.

http://www.mikuni.com/fs-installation_guide.html

I usually reuse the spring and lever that came out of each carb. that should keep your pop off close to what it was.

the big thing is pressure testing the carbs. you put 10psi on the fuel intake and cap off the overflow and it should hold it. If not you have a leaky needle and seat.

As others have said in those vids, some show you how to make the pop off tester...

Thread Information