two way radio for riding

What is cheap, water proof and with a headset jack for hands free VOX? I asked around and got conflicting answers from various sales people after looking at manuals. I'd think the jack would need an O-ring seal or something.
    What do all you mfers use?

rt

Quote Originally Posted by rotortiller View Post
    What is cheap, water proof and with a headset jack for hands free VOX? I asked around and got conflicting answers from various sales people after looking at manuals. I'd think the jack would need an O-ring seal or something.
    What do all you mfers use?

rt
    I'd too would like to see what others have used.

I doubt there is anything affordable that is worth a crap though.

+1
    Guys,

I bought a pair of Midland (50 mile range) 2 ways for MBs. Worked great - I don't rem. the exact model but I can find out if you're interested. I kept it clipped to my life vest and once rode 300 yards in the spray of another jskier just to cool off. The radio was totally soaked and never stopped working.

Also, try "Googling" "Hands free radio for jetskis". You may find a website to a company that does what you're looking far: Earjacks & throat micros and all controlled by a PTT button installed on the handle bars. I don't know how well it works but I rem. it being rather pricey. My pair cost $90.00 from Cabela's.

Just last month we tried Midland top of the line radios (pair was like $90) with vox/ptt selectable headsets (pair for
    $20-30). The radios are waterproof and float. Both vox and ptt worked great while stopped, but when moving vox was confused by engine and/or wind noise, and even ptt was difficult to hear the person talking due to wind noise. At least the paging ringtones were usually loud enough to get your attn while at speed, and then you just have to slow down or stop to talk.

Not the results we were hoping for, but better than nothing for the investment. The alternative is to spend upwards of 500 to 1000 for professional radios.

83Gator: you said yours worked great . . . was that while running too? If so, maybe you have a better suited headset than we do. Were you just using the set that came with the radios?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Edify View Post
    Just last month we tried Midland top of the line radios (pair was like $90) with vox/ptt selectable headsets (pair for
    $20-30). The radios are waterproof and float. Both vox and ptt worked great while stopped, but when moving vox was confused by engine and/or wind noise, and even ptt was difficult to hear the person talking due to wind noise. At least the paging ringtones were usually loud enough to get your attn while at speed, and then you just have to slow down or stop to talk.

Not the results we were hoping for, but better than nothing for the investment. The alternative is to spend upwards of 500 to 1000 for professional radios.

83Gator: you said yours worked great . . . was that while running too? If so, maybe you have a better suited headset than we do. Were you just using the set that came with the radios?

No, not while running - I turned the VOX off b/c of exactly what you stated (wind/engine noise) Based on your description above, we prob. have the same models. I was typing in the dark on a laptop last night and didn't want to go into all the detail. I will say this tho: My set has a 50 mile "line of sight" range. On the water, in the SoLA swamp, (lots of big trees...) the range is cut down to about 1 - 2 miles! I was leading groups of bikes on guided tours and we would start as a group and then be spread out to about 1/2 mile or so. The radios were for the "leader" and "sweeper" to communicate and to make sure no one was lost/left behind.

The other option I talked about (handle bar PTT) can be found here: http://www.fullwavemarine.com/jetski...ation_kit.html Seems nice, but a little pricey.

Finally, let me say this. From what I've read/heard, just about all "external" sound communication is null & void once the ski is travelling around 50mph or faster. I've heard this from several reports w/stereos/MP3 & Ipod machines. I don't know the physics of sound production on a moving vessel, but I'm sure it dampens the sound if you're travelling fast enough. Now, will the above link have a product that works around noise while travelling at speeds. IDK, one of you guys spend the money and please report back...

These look interesting, I don't own this product, a buddy told me about em when I was interested in a two way riding radio...

http://www.chatterboxusa.com/

+1
    When I took kiteboarding lessions, they gave me a lightweight helmet to wear that had a radio built in. Don't remember who made it, but it worked well for telling me what to do when.

Did anyone try the throat microphone which would be sheltered from wind noise under your wet suit? That may be a cure at speed.

rt

Thread Information