Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

97 SPX, Odd electrical problem

I have a 97 SPX, it ran great for one year. Then last year it filled with water due to a hole in a freeze plug, about half way. Just enough to almost submerge the battery. It was immediately drained. Once I fixed the freeze plug it started with this problem.

You ride it for a few minutes (10-15) then it starts to cut out at random intervals. Mostly when you hit a wave. I typically starts right back up and repeats over and over.

Sitting in the drive way running, I can shake any of the wiring harnesses and nothing causes it to cut out. But on water it just cuts. No fumble or anything. I've gone through all the connectors, etc.. and found nothing.

The neg battery cable has a crack in it & needs replaced that goes to the ignition box (I think that's what it is) but even when running in the driveway you can jiggle it and nothing happens.

Last year I took the front cover off the flywheel and checked the sensor up there, as someone on another forum suggested. It was fine, very sturdy.

Any suggestions on where to check? I'm ready to just dump it off at Seadoo. Which burns me because I'm pretty competent.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    If your ground wire that goes to the bottom of the ski hasnt been replaced Im betting that, that is it. have you cleaned the carbs or changed the fuel lines by the way?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    If your ground wire that goes to the bottom of the ski hasnt been replaced Im betting that, that is it. have you cleaned the carbs or changed the fuel lines by the way?

I have new lines sitting around, haven't replaced them yet.

The ski runs full power, stops dead (no bogging) in it's tracks, starts right back up, runs full power, stops dead in its tracks, over and over.

As far as a "ground wire that goes to the bottom of the ski", are you referring to the neg cable that goes to the starter? I only have two cables off my neg terminal on the battery. One goes to the ignition box next to the batter and the other goes to the starter. The starter cable appears to be fine, as I replaced the starter and inspected it. I don't see why that would be an issue since it starts fine.

+1
    your ground does not go the the starter your positive lead does (the red one) the ground goes the the bottom of the engine. you may have corrosion at the connection point which is causing your engine trouble.

its still connected but the corrosion is interfering with your connection causing the ski to suddenly die

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    your ground does not go the the starter your positive lead does (the red one) the ground goes the the bottom of the engine. you may have corrosion at the connection point which is causing your engine trouble.

its still connected but the corrosion is interfering with your connection causing the ski to suddenly die

I will look in to that! Thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Pantsdown View Post
    I will look in to that! Thanks.
    if you dont want to take the engine out just find another point on the engine to ground to...some where on the crank case preferably I think that there is a spot near the front of the motor where you can mount to that has a 13mm nut on it.

+1
    Anyone else have some insight on this? I'm going to tear into it tomorrow night and put a new ground cable in.

I'd like to get some more feedback on what could be the cause!

+1
    I can tell you that I dont think that its the rectifier in the front gray box cause if it was your ski would run but would bog at WOT. to test this theory if it was the rectifier you would unplug the red wire and see if it fixed the problem. just have to take a short trip cause your battery is not charging cause you have the rectifier unpluged.

how old is your battery by the way? if you dont have a good battery these skis are very finicky about getting 12.5V

It may not be an electrical problem at all. It could be a fuel starvation problem caused by a number of things; clogged selector valve, clogged lines, clogged fuel/water filter, clogged carb filters.

And it could be a bad fuel tank vent, causing an abrupt stop in fuel flow. I would check all these items first.

Also could be a bad reed switch inside the DESS post. A hard bump will bring this out more....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information