Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I can't find where my Genesis is leaking

I have a 2000 Genesis that is leaking into the hull. I usually don't worry about it because when I fired it up the bilge would pump the water out. Well the bilge went out and it filled with about 3 inches of water in the hull. The tube that goes to the speedometer seems to be fine. One question I have is about the section where the drive shaft exits the hull. The piece that has a grease zerk can be rotated easily. I can turn it a quarter turn with very little effort. Should this piece be solid. A coworker that has a boat said what he does to find a leak is to fill the hull with water while it is on the trailer. Then crawl under it and look for drips. But if it is the drive shaft exit I would have to fill the hull with a lot of water to get it up to that height. Is this a good idea? Any help would be great
    Budman

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The through-hull bearing is not supposed to be loose.

There should be a gear clamp around both ends of that stout rubber hose section, and they should be holding it all firmly in place.

The Zerk fitting needs to be greased regularly. Eventually the seals in the through-hull bearing will also need replacement.

If you want to do the job properly, you can remove the entire jet pump and drive shaft. Then remove the through-hull unit, replace the two seals, and put it all back together.

Not really that hard to do.

How to remove and re-install the Polaris 148mm jet pump

Click here for guidance to help you get your Polaris PWC running properly, and keep it on the water.

Thanks k447, I may try and pull it apart today. I might have more questions when I get it apart. The videos are great help.

I pulled the pump apart and took the seal/bearing out. But I think the problem is the plastic thru the hull O ring. It is very loose. It doesn't look like the one on the diagram at partspitstop.com . How do I remove this piece? Does it come apart into two pieces. It looks like the previous owner smeared silicone around it. Thanks

Budman

+1
    To check for leaks... start out with dry inside.. lay down lots of paper towels everywhere inside the hull and around suspect areas,,ie thru hull fitting,piptot tube,drain plug, steering cable,trim motor seal, pissers, exhaust hose. exhaust exit, water rail, intake hose, large pipe water fittings, heads, anywhere you think it maybe leaking.. then put the hull in the water and watch which towels get wet first.. theres your problem!

if nothing start the engine and watch stuff as its running.. sometimes water rails leak only when running. stuff like that.. dont start the paper towels on fire! be carefull. keep them away from the couple , driveshaft, and exhaust or any other place they be trouble. then just watch the ski run and looks for leaks or wet towels.. then you can narrow down from there.. whether its a crack or pressure related or a hole or clamp missing or loose. or bad silicon job.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Budman View Post
    I have a 2000 Genesis that is leaking into the hull. fill the hull with water while it is on the trailer. Then crawl under it and look for drips. But if it is the drive shaft exit I would have to fill the hull with a lot of water to get it up to that height. Is this a good idea? Any help would be great
    Budman
    Once I know I have a leak, the first thing I'll do is take it for a ride with the seat off, as some leaks will only show themselves with some water pressure generated by the jetpump.

If nothing is found, I'll then lift the front of the trailer (with ski on it) as high as I can and then put water in the hull.

Between these 2 methods, you'll almost always find your problem area.

Personally, I would have tip the trailer up first before tearing it apart. If you found something then you would have known for sure, but you'll get it!!

+1
    I pulled the pump apart and took the seal/bearing out. But I think the problem is the plastic thru the hull O ring. It is very loose. It doesn't look like the one on the diagram at partspitstop.com . How do I remove this piece? Does it come apart into two pieces. It looks like the previous owner smeared silicone around it. Thanks

Budman
    Does it look like this one in my pic?

If so, then yes.... #11 screws into #13, regular (right handed) threads.

I had #12 (o-ring) blow out on my Virage TX and if that happens, that's definately a water source.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	194526  

I'm feeling naturally aspirated today pirate33's Avatar
    +1

Budman
    It very normal on these models for the 2 piece plastic through hull to loosen by unscrewing itself after time, I bet it just needs to be tighten together again ... there is a black O ring as part of the assembly and most likely still is good shape
    heres what the tool looks like on the end of my torque wench to tighten the through hull

Thanks for the help. Yes it is #11-13. It is very loose. But I can't seem to loosen or tighten it. Maybe a strap pipe wrench. I don't have a tool like in the picture. Do you know what its called?

I'm feeling naturally aspirated today pirate33's Avatar
    +1
    Its a Polaris tool, someone on here sends it out for a deposit and shipping. Sorry I can't remember who it was ... hopefully they see the post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information