Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

95 xp no fun to ride

me and friend took my skis out to the lake today after i got home from work.. first time riding my 95 xp this year since i had to fix the water leak coming from the exhaust..well she runs pretty darn good.. but i think it runs a bit rich... it burned darn near half a tank of gas in a short period of time and smokes alot.. more so than my 97.. another thing even though i jsut found out my vts has quit working again, the stupid ski does not hook up for crap in the slightest bit of waves/chop.. it wont plane out.. it just gets hoppin smackin the rev limiter at like 7000.. its gets soooo annoying.. on my 97 it cuts right through and runs wonderfully through chop.. i guess that intake grate really does make a difference.. but anyways.. has anybody else had this kind of issue of not being able to hook up in slight waves/chop.. u can really feel her want to pull when it hits smooth water but that rarely happens.. i kinda want to buy an intake grate for it, but then part of me just wants to sell it and get another 97+ xp..

+1
    You can not compare that '95 to the '97 XP hull when it comes to handling and ride in the rougher stuff.

IMO, the little hulls have their fun factor but I would not want one as my only boat. Some day I hope to have a '99 SPX (as it will match my XPL and GTX in color scheme) but it would be for wake jumping and farting around back in a cove (maybe run it out to Ponce DeLeon Inlet some day for some major flight time).

A grate will help it hook up but will not solve the porpoise issue which is making the hook issue worse (not to mention how crappy the ride is). That issue has been addressed on here so a search should net you some ideas on what to do about it.

You may be happier with another '97 since you like the one you have. You might want to try an XPL though. Once you go 951 you may not go back.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    guys he's hitting the limiter and won't get up on plane...check your wear ring.if its been in there a while it probably fell apart or something else,but i'd check

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX View Post
    You can not compare that '95 to the '97 XP hull when it comes to handling and ride in the rougher stuff.

IMO, the little hulls have their fun factor but I would not want one as my only boat. Some day I hope to have a '99 SPX (as it will match my XPL and GTX in color scheme) but it would be for wake jumping and farting around back in a cove (maybe run it out to Ponce DeLeon Inlet some day for some major flight time).

A grate will help it hook up but will not solve the porpoise issue which is making the hook issue worse (not to mention how crappy the ride is). That issue has been addressed on here so a search should net you some ideas on what to do about it.

You may be happier with another '97 since you like the one you have. You might want to try an XPL though. Once you go 951 you may not go back.
    yea i love how well the 95 can jump waves... it does it with such ease, but even if u wanted to go for a nice smooth ride, it aint happenig.. mostly because the lake i ride on is dang near never calm.. i rode a friends 951 gsx before.. and now another friend just picked up a 98 xpl.. i reaaaalllly want my 2000 xpl NOW!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by sea-one View Post
    guys he's hitting the limiter and won't get up on plane...check your wear ring.if its been in there a while it probably fell apart or something else,but i'd check
    the thought def crossed my mind today on the lake.. im gonna have to check out the wear ring tomorrow...

try throwing some extended trim tabs on it. It will help keep your nose down. And if your trim worked and could trim it all the way down it would really help you too. On my XP I remember riding it for the first time and forgot about the trim and it was kinda choppy and I was like wow, this really really sucks. I came back into the launch and my dad was like "you forget about the trim?" I went back out and trimmed it down and it was night and day.

+1
    If you are slipping (hitting the rev limiter and not planing out) in smooth water I would worry about this more than if it is just doing it in rough water.

This also depends on how hard he is trying to ride it and just how rough the chop is.

Since he specifically said that it rode fine in smooth water I did not address that as a possible issue. Also, if it is hopping out of the water it IS on a plane. Otherwise it could not hop. Which sounds like, well, a boat that is unhooked and or porpoising.

The devil is in the details, of course.

That is not to say that you do not need a wear ring, or even a re-seal of the ride plate. However, if you are not having trouble getting on a plane in smooth water (that is, the engine revs up and up but the boat does not come up and stop making a bow wave like a tug boat), then you probably do not have a slippage issue.

+1
    thats what i was playing with and trying to figure out.. it gets up and goes just fine.. its just in chop it doesnt ride through it like the 97 does.. i know two different hulls big difference.. this thing just seems to bounce off one wave and on to the next and over and over again.. it porpoises' real bad.. it just makes me believe its just the nature of the beast.. im sure a working vts and a new intake grate would help, but itll never be like the 97.. i just would like to get to some flatt water and really open her up.. time to find a new lake lol

that is just the nature of the ski, its so light. The 97+ XPs plow through the water because of where the engine is located they are very nose heavy.

+1
    That and the very deep V of the hull of the '97+ XP/XPL help it slice through waves where the X-4's relatively flat bottom tends to launch.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    OH! your VTS isn't working? yea on a X4 hull ittle do that.you cant complain if something like that doesn't work

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information