why should I or should'nt I buy a 260x

I own a 15f and absolutley love it. My wife now desires a bigger ride than her gp1300r. She sez she wants a bigger ski, more power and one than handles the chop better. So, Im wanting some of you guys opinion on a 09 or 10 ultra 260x. My wish (like anyone) is reliability....... any known issues i need to know about going on with this skis????? Also, I hear everyone say the fuel economy sucks!! Ive considered seadoo and yamaha but found a decent otd price on a 09 260x locally. thanks for any and all input.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetskr View Post
    I own a 15f and absolutley love it. My wife now desires a bigger ride than her gp1300r. She sez she wants a bigger ski, more power and one than handles the chop better. So, Im wanting some of you guys opinion on a 09 or 10 ultra 260x. My wish (like anyone) is reliability....... any known issues i need to know about going on with this skis????? Also, I hear everyone say the fuel economy sucks!! Ive considered seadoo and yamaha but found a decent otd price on a 09 260x locally. thanks for any and all input.
    Barry absolutely do not expect to get get good gas milage on this one. It will do okay if she stays out of the boost but she rides like Crissy or anyone else that has boost at their finger tips.. Expect to have to change the oil frequent if you want it to last, and I would run a good synthetic ie: Amsoil/mobile 1 ETC.. I would PM ULTRA250 TN.

I have never owned or rode a Yamaha or 15F. I have owned and rode an SD GTX SC and I now ride regularly with GTX SC and Kawi Ultra LX.

I ride 100% in salt water, 50 to 80 mile trips, carry lots of gear, highly variable weather and surface conditions from calm to 4ft (occasional 6ft) chop, prefer high speed straight line cruising, sometimes take 1-2 passengers for spins. I mention all this so you know my perspective. In my opinion, the 260X is IDEAL. I would not buy anything else unless I had the extra money to buy SD RXPX to use in excellent conditions for pure speed.

My reasons are:

1) Ultra crushes chop with least effort;

2) 65+ is plenty of speed in my conditions;

3) Massive storage is critical;

4) I like to be able to ride standing up;

5) Local dealer is great;

6) No PWC is as reliable as my Subaru but I have great cell phone coverage and vessel assist, never get cold even when stranded and Kawi seems to be at least as reliable as SD;

7) I carry extra fuel and know several places I can go along the way for 92 octane.

I like the Ultra LX because its handling is identical to my X but it runs on 87 octane which is cheaper and more available BUT: would never give up the added performance of supercharger and intercooler.

My friend can ride the SD GTX in the same rough water. But, I think he has to work harder. He prefers nimble. I prefer straight line with least possible effort. He thinks I carry way too much crap and doesnt need all the storage but Ive been stuck at night in the middle of nowhere in bad conditions and think different. (Plus, I can sneak the heavy stuff into his bow and carry the light bulky gear and he has yet to catch on).

Female friend with LX can go everywhere we go, just nowhere near as fast. But thats ok because we are touring not racing. LX is perfect for her in first year of riding but she likes to swap skis with me from time to time and let 'er rip. I suspect eventually she will decide to trade up to SC ski.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JSkis.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	194061  

+1
    Supercharger

Thatis what makes it different than the LX which is just a little slower than the 15f. That is good or bad depends on the person riding it. I personally like to go on long rides sometimes as much as 100 miles in a day. I would much rather do that with 15 gallons of fuel instead of 25 gallons. I will race a friend once in a while but I am not out there to be the fastest so I just don't have a reason to ride anything supercharged. Just research on here the problems compared to the 15f and the LX.

I agree that it would be better to buy 15 gallons than 25 to go 100 miles BUT ONLY IF THE RIDE IS THE SAME.

If its rough water, I'd rather pay for the 25 gallons and ride in comfort than get bashed. But I'll be the first to admit thats partially because of my age and conditioning!

I agree that the LX is interesting alternative for jskr to consider. LX and X have identical hulls and handle the same. But its 55 vs 65+. Thats a big difference.

The difference in gas consumption between LX and X is insignificant to me and Ive run them side by side on 75 mile trips. Just like Dome says, cruise at 45 to 50 on X and you can really stretch mileage.

87 vs 92 octane is significant difference. Its much easier to get 87 on the water and its cheaper. Its just not that big a deal to me personally because I carry fuel, have discovered where I can get 92, and plan exactly how far I will go.

I agree that the SC inevitably lessens reliability. But its 55 vs. 65. I dont race either and I really enjoy cruising at 45 to 50. Its just that, personally, I would not give up that 10mph.

thanks for all the input - one question -has the oil/gas issue been resolved yet on the 260x ?

My understanding is, yes it has. I had big problem with it on 07, zero problem on 09.

But jskr, are you really gonna give your wife 10mph? I think your biggest problem is figuring out how to convince your wife you should really be the one to ride the new ski, what with the crummy gas mileage and all.

+1
    Hey Barry, just give Kimberly the 15f and get you a RXPX. Kirk and I will have going 75+ in no time.

Thread Information