Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation What Octane Fuel Can I Use?

I just bought an Ultra 250x last year and have only put about 20 hours on it. I've been using 93 octane fuel, but have noticed they don't sell the required 90+ octane fuel required at any of the marina's in the area I ride. But they do sell 89 Octane... It's kind of a hassle having to put the ski back on the trailer each time i need to fill up. Is it safe to fill up with 89 Octane fuel or do I have to trailerer it and hike to the nearest gas station? Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated...

Risky. If anything you might want to keep some octane booster with you and add that to the 89. You may/may not have problems with the 89 but better to be safe than sorry.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    99% of the octane booster is snake oil, better to run a higher octane than lower, it recomends 90+ plus so why take a chance...............

Detination isnt good for your pistons..............

Its a supercharged motor with 11.4 lbs of boost, im surprised 93 octane isnt the recomended grade.................

Quote Originally Posted by cgerber386 View Post
    I just bought an Ultra 250x last year and have only put about 20 hours on it. I've been using 93 octane fuel, but have noticed they don't sell the required 90+ octane fuel required at any of the marina's in the area I ride. But they do sell 89 Octane... It's kind of a hassle having to put the ski back on the trailer each time i need to fill up. Is it safe to fill up with 89 Octane fuel or do I have to trailerer it and hike to the nearest gas station? Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated...

Do the resaearch for your area and find a place that sells race gas. I get unleaded 104 octane gas for 8 bucks a gallon. Buy yourself 2 five gallon cans and cut in the race fuel with your 89 marina gas and you'll be happy, maybe 1/4 race gas, 3/4 marina gas. 1/3 race gas and 2/3 marina gas better.

Over the counter octane boost usually contains MMT or other additives that are undesireable for several reasons, ruin emissions components, gum up plugs, etc... plus they don't raise octane much for the most part.

+1
    I agree about the octane boosters not being a good idea. If your going to mess with race gas mixing with 89 take a look at this link: http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/Octanemix.html
    Below the chart there is a "Click here there is an excell spreadsheet that will calculate for you" link that I was playing with. I have no idea how accurate it is though
    IMHO-
    If getting 91+ in the ski is a big problem I know personally I'd be looking for a different ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skaneateles 08 Ultra 250 View Post
    Do the resaearch for your area and find a place that sells race gas. I get unleaded 104 octane gas for 8 bucks a gallon. Buy yourself 2 five gallon cans and cut in the race fuel with your 89 marina gas and you'll be happy, maybe 1/4 race gas, 3/4 marina gas. 1/3 race gas and 2/3 marina gas better.

Over the counter octane boost usually contains MMT or other additives that are undesireable for several reasons, ruin emissions components, gum up plugs, etc... plus they don't raise octane much for the most part.
    I agree with the race fuel but you need to be very careful there and be accurate as possible mixing it. Start out maybe a 1/4 of a gallon and top off with pump gas that is if your bone empty. The temps might rise slightly more than normal but I wouldn't think it would be a huge factor there. I know places like jegs and summit racing sell a additive that is MMT free and wont harm valve seats on todays engines. Check them out on line and see what they have if you can't find race fuel to bring up the octane.
    be sure to ask them about MMT

There are a number of threads on this topic. In one of them (can't seem to find) some guy was using 87 octane because he rides in the Colorado River and couldn't get any good gas. Long story short he destroyed his engine.

IMO, I would find a way to use 90+ octane or else trade it in for one of the new 1.8L Yamahas which run on 87.

Here is a thread that I found:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105697

Would mixing say half 87 octane with a with half a higher octane say 93

really make 90 octane? I wasn't sure if that was possible.

Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKawi View Post
    There are a number of threads on this topic. In one of them (can't seem to find) some guy was using 87 octane because he rides in the Colorado River and couldn't get any good gas. Long story short he destroyed his engine.

IMO, I would find a way to use 90+ octane or else trade it in for one of the new 1.8L Yamahas which run on 87.

Here is a thread that I found:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105697

Thanks for the help everyone. The chesapeake bay, near Turkey Point, is

usually where I ride. There is a gas station on the way that has 100

octane so I think I'll start filling up there with that and then fill up with the

89 at the local marina if need be. That should put me at about 92.8

octane. I'll just try to find a marina in the area that has 90+ at the pump.

Where at on the bay do you usually ride ?

Quote Originally Posted by cgerber386 View Post
    Would mixing say half 87 octane with a with half a higher octane say 93

really make 90 octane? I wasn't sure if that was possible.
    Yes, mixing equal parts of 93 and 87 would give you 90 octane fuel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information