Thread: Nose cone

Nose cone

Is there any disadvantages of not running a nose cone ?

+1
    None!

Well, its just a bit harder to stab the pump, but thats it

I thought it wasnt a good idea for us saltwater riders???

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i've yet to hear of ANY problems with props seizing to driveshafts in saltwater... that being said, if you do proper maintence, rinse down the ski and intake area of the pump after each ride in salt, maybe a squirt of bomardier lube i dont think it will ever be a problem... i know quite a few guys near me not running nose cones and they have no problems, have "felt" increased acceleration and a consistent about .5 mph gain among them.

i dont run a nose cone and i exclusively ride in salt, but i wont speak of longevity since i've put a whopping 15 hours on my ski this whole season

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485
    i've yet to hear of ANY problems with props seizing to driveshafts in saltwater... that being said, if you do proper maintence, rinse down the ski and intake area of the pump after each ride in salt, maybe a squirt of bomardier lube i dont think it will ever be a problem... i know quite a few guys near me not running nose cones and they have no problems, have "felt" increased acceleration and a consistent about .5 mph gain among them.

i dont run a nose cone and i exclusively ride in salt, but i wont speak of longevity since i've put a whopping 15 hours on my ski this whole season
    Damn Shibbs. That sux!!

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485

Wow, advice coming from a guy who hardly rides! Just playin Steve. When the hell are you gettin this 80mph RXP in the water anyway? It's 60 degrees here, i'm sick from riding 2 weeks ago, and still not ready to hang it up. C'mon man !

I have my nose cone removed as well and i can't say i've noticed an increase in performance but i can say i don't have to worry about the stupid thing coming loose and riding up the driveshaft. I'm a salt water rider as well and i haven't noticed any unordinary corrosion either.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RustySeaRustyDoo
    I thought it wasnt a good idea for us saltwater riders???
    Even with a nose cone in place you are getting saltwater on the shaft splines.

if it`s any consolation to add: I`m running without the nose cone on the GTX. and like shibbs says, I wash it down after each use, and once in a while spray some bomb lube into the prop splines. Even though I ride in brackish waters after several weeks without the cone, I pulled the pump for other services and no corrosion or rust on the shaft, the grease for the most part was washed off the splines, so I don`t know if there will be any long term wear effects without the grease, but overall, splines looked good!...PR...

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1
    I've tried several different things on the splines but nothing stays packed in there. I wouldn't expect it to. I usually use anti-sieze.

Quote Originally Posted by 01xdime View Post
    I've tried several different things on the splines but nothing stays packed in there. I wouldn't expect it to. I usually use anti-sieze.
    Amsoils Synthetic Waterproof grease did a good job of clinging to the splines if the nose cone was in good shape and didn`t continually come off...
    even running without the nose cone, there was still some grease on the very end of the shaft...PR...

Thread Information