Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

keep or remove liitle filters in 96xp carbs?

I run a cleanable aftermarket inline fuel filter with new fuel lines on my 96xp and a cleaned out fuel tank.

can i just remove those little fuel filters in the carbs?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    why remove added security?

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    why remove added security?

He CAN do whatever he wants to with them but, whether or not it's advisable is a different matter.

Hell no don't take them out. New ones are freakin CHEAP. If money is that much of an issue............should you have a jetski?

It would be nice to have an easy to clean filter, but I don't think you can depend on an inline filter. Did the 96 xp not have a water trap/ bowl/ screen filter and how is your aftermarket filter different?

When I cleaned the fuel systems of the derelict Doos, there was crap in the bottom of the tanks. The filter screen in the tank pick up was clean. The filter screen in bowl was clean. The carb filters look like this. So clearly the crap in the carb filter is from corrosion, fuel evaporation varnish, condensation, gray line goo, etc. that happened after the other filters.

Now there was a thread on here before about this and some folks argued that most fuel crap can make it thru the small carb circuits. It seems most carb manufacturers disagree. That stuff won't help the needle seal for sure.

I also unnecessarily rebuilt the carbs of my Polaris about 7 years after the last rebuild for preventative maintenance. I know it was unnecessary because the carbs and their filters were spotless. It was nice to be able to look at the filters to see what the condition of the fuel is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carb filter.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	194190   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carb filter2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	194191  

okay guys ill keep them in its not the money

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    They are 15 bucks a piece through seadoo, just take them out and soak them in acetone for a bit, then use an air gun and spray them off, you can clean the inside of them using a q-tip. But never leave them out keep them in there.

+1
    Have been removing them since 1999 and have only had 1 blockage due to old fuel line breaking down. I always remove them as the fuel/water filter has a 75 micron mesh screen and filters out most debris.

The particles that are allowed through will always be small enough to pass through the low speed jet (smallest opening) so IMO remove them and then you will never have to worry about your carbs going lean from internal filter blockages.They are not required.

You must know more than Mikuni does about their carbs????

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by seadoobutch787 View Post
    You must know more than Mikuni does about their carbs????
    Well then explain it to me why are they needed when you have a 75 micron filter already in line . Easy to criticise somebody else on a keyboard.

They install these to provide a blanket coverage of their intended use in most all applications in the chance that the craft manufacturer doesn't install filters inline. How many filters you have on your car,motorbike,aeroplane,lawnmower,grass trimmer or most engine applications ????? Its not rocket science all they do is clog up and will lean seize an engine usually from gunk in a fuel line.
    Off to work .

Don't come on here and put a bug in someone's head that it is alright to leave out the micro filters in the carbs that is just plain stupid...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information