Fuel leak - I think

Greetings, all!

I haven't been on for a few months, but I'm assuming no one has had any problems whatsoever with their skis; that you getting hundred miles per gallon of gas; and you've all discovered a guy down the street who has a nonfuctioning matching ski he let you buy for fifty bucks.

Oh, yeah, hope you found a digital wrench unit in your friend's garage that used to belong to your friend's dad, and, not knowing what it was, your buddy gave it to you.

Yeah, right! (infused with acceptable lever of sarcasm)

Okay, seriously...

I have a MSX150 the runs great after number of repairs and many dollars spent.

But . . . I am getting a fuel leak from somewhere, and I've been hunting it for about a month of weekends now. I'm getting a strong fuel smell, after even a short ride (ten minutes), I found fuel in the hull under the engine, which I can watch drain when I remove the rear plugs.

Okay, simple fuel leak, right? I have checked every hose and fitting that has anything to do with fuel, even replaced a few hoses. No cracks or leaks at the fuel rail or the injectors or the manifold injector ports. I can find no spray anywhere (including under the tank itself) and all the connections to the fuel pump/tank.

Anyone who whats to throw in your two-cents on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

This is absolutely maddening!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHH!

Whew! Decent pressure relief, there . . . I feel better.

FLN

With my bilge lines in plce, I'm probably losing more fuel than I can see

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Does it leak if the engine is run with the hull strapped down on the trailer (no hull motion, but jet pump in the water), or only when actually riding?

If running it at the ramp with the hull strapped down to the trailer does NOT leak fuel, then the fuel is sloshing out of the tank somehow (or a fuel connection is flexing and leaking) while you are riding.

Tip: Check whether the trailer ride to the launch ramp hasn't already caused fuel to leak into the hull. If it has, really focus on the tank and filler hose.

Try this - no guarantees

Cut some strips of clean white cotton cloth. Tie them around every fuel fitting and hose connection.

Run the engine a bit, then see if any of the cloths become damp or wet with fuel.

Lay some clean white cotton cloth pads in the bottom of the hull (make sure the hull is very dry first). Again, see if any become wet or damp with fuel after running the engine.

Eventually this should lead you towards the source of the leak.

Also check that the fuel tank filler neck is not leaking or cracked. Check the tank itself where the filler hose clamps on. Look for tank cracks or hose issues.

Also check the top of the fuel pump assembly. There is a large O-ring inside there, and a bunch of fittings at the top of that pump.

Check for cracked fittings, or other issues with the top of the pump assembly. Make sure the large plastic retaining ring is in good shape, and not loose or cross threaded.

+1
    I bet you 20cents the fuel filter has rusted though- ask me how I know about this problem Close inspection required.

Ryco (not sure of the brands over there) have a universal marine version of this filter, I guess it is made of a corrosion tolerant material.

Other than that the fuel hoses do go hard you may want to crimp them up a little or repace the clamps.

Cheers

Fuel leak - I think

Okay! Thanks for the advice on my fuel leak. The old tie-a-white-cloth-around-all-the-connections trick worked like a charm. The leaked gas had been evaporating so quickly I couldn't see it at the connection where it was leaking. Thanks for that tip, K447.

On to my New problem at another thread.

Thanks a million!
    FLN

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by freelancenovelist View Post
    ...The leaked gas had been evaporating so quickly I couldn't see it at the connection where it was leaking...
    So where was it leaking?

Oh, yeah. Sorry about that.

The connector at the gas tank end of the supply hose was dribbling. I had a connector left over from my rebuild last winter. Swapped them out. Bingo! The connector had a very small crack in it. New one solved the problem.

Sometimes I think talking with you guys is the equivalent of taking a deep breath, counting to ten, and calming down a little. That, and all the information, of course. I'll tell you, there are things I would never have attempted if I hadn't been able to pick the brains of all the greenhulkers. Least I could do is put down how I fixed it.

Apologies again.

FLN

fuel leak (cont.)

Okay, so I found and fixed my fuel leak--thanks to all greenhulkers for replying--and I'm installing an in-line fuel pressure gauge. I'm going to put it on the supply line, a few inches back from where the fuel line connects to the fuel rail.

It would be easier to put the gauge on the return line (more hose realestate, but since incoming pressure is what I'm concerned with, I thought putting it on the return line might not give me a clear pressure reading--coming off the rail, past the injectors and all that.

So I thought I'd get some input on this. Since the entire fuel system is pressurized at 45lbs, does it really make a difference where I put it?

Thanks,
    FLN

+1
    Hi FLN,

You need it in the supply line after the fuel filter. The pic shows the OEM one fitted to a few chosen MSX's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Poo4 27.03.2010 026.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	195255  

Thread Information