Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Help with pulling a glued-on pump shoe

I twisted the head of one of the bolts holding my intake grate to my pump shoe off a few years ago; Jim in Tampa helped me out, but couldn't get the bolt out with an ease-out. Had to drill and tap a new hole, then elongate of of the mounting holes on my 1200 grate to get it to fit. I've left it on, but I'm putting my SS grate on the ski and I hate to have to elongate one of the holes on it to work too. I want to put a new shoe on, but here's my problem.

The shoe, and just about everything else from the looks of it, was sealed with 3M Marine Adhesive/Sealant Fast Cure 4000 UV when Kerry got the ski where he wanted it. He tells me it's gonna be a bitch to get the shoe off; I've never messed with 4000 UV before. Anyone have any experience with it, got any advice on how to pull it off?

if it were me: I would get a very thin and flexible cake frosting spatula like the ones in ACmoore or bed and bath, and heat the tool up with a propane torch and start to cut into the caulk/sealant. repeating the process until you can get deeper and deeper and start to pry down, go all along the perimeter first with a razor knife being very careful with the hull...

or you can use a professional caulking tool, and do the same...
    if it were me that`s what I would try...

if all else fails, since your not worried about saving the part, you could also cut it out, piece by piece...

That and having a come along pulling a little at the same time might be helpfull. NOT TOO MUCH PULLING PRESSURE

+1
    I take a razor and cut the visible bond lines then a flat bar on the rear of the pump shoe using the transom as leverage slowly work it once the seal breaks stick a couple flat head screw drivers in there so that you can reset the flat bar for more leverage. once it starts it will come out easier than you think.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    That and having a come along pulling a little at the same time might be helpfull. NOT TOO MUCH PULLING PRESSURE
    That might be a trick, since it's got to come off straight down. Gonna reevaluate and talk to my mechanic, I'll post if and when I figure it out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    That might be a trick, since it's got to come off straight down. Gonna reevaluate and talk to my mechanic, I'll post if and when I figure it out.
    I think he was kidding, atleast I hope

+1
    No, he's not kidding. Many of us have used a ratcheting tie strap attached to the trailer axle to remove a pump shoe. If you've never removed one, sometimes this is the only way to keep downward pressure on it while you use razor blades, spatulas, etc.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    No, he's not kidding. Many of us have used a ratcheting tie strap attached to the trailer axle to remove a pump shoe. If you've never removed one, sometimes this is the only way to keep downward pressure on it while you use razor blades, spatulas, etc.
    done it atleast 15 times or more but putting a cum along to pull it you run a chance of pulling the smc with it especially if someone ruffed it up before the glue......

+1
    Like anything else, if you gorilla-arm it then you get what you deserve. It works if you are careful.

+1
    Boogie, trailer axle makes an obvious point to loop a come along around, can't believe I didn't think of it. Thanks!

N8R, I know what he's talking about; use the come along to apply a constant pull on it while you loosen it up, but don't try to yank it off with it. Like reeling in a swordfish, you can't just yank the fish out of the water, gotta let him come to you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information