Advice on buying 95 raider 1100

Came across a deal on a one of these but it doesn't start. Guy said it gets fuel, has compression, and spark on all three. He stated he put a new CDI and a new starter and still won't catch. He had put a little oil in the top for winterization. Also looks like he might have left water in it. He said he turned it over and some milky water poured out of it. So, what would be my concerns if I wanted to buy this? What do you think it would take to get it started? Thanks for looking.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Martimus Rex View Post
    Came across a deal on a one of these but it doesn't start. Guy said it gets fuel, has compression, and spark on all three. He stated he put a new CDI and a new starter and still won't catch. He had put a little oil in the top for winterization. Also looks like he might have left water in it. He said he turned it over and some milky water poured out of it. So, what would be my concerns if I wanted to buy this? What do you think it would take to get it started? Thanks for looking.
    Depends on the price, but unless its a steal I would run. How much is the seller asking?

Adam

800 bucks with a trailer that has no title.

+1
    As far as the title goes, every state is different. In Florida, you must have a title and they are very difficult to get if the seller doesn't have one.

Many craigslist sellers try to sell boats and jetskis without titles. They always say that getting a new title is easy. I called my local tag office and they didn't agree one bit. They said its very difficult in Florida.

Check and see how difficult it would be for you to get a new title in IL. If its as difficult as it is here in FL, run!

The ski has a title it's the trailer that does not. Getting a home build title for the trailer is not a big deal.

800 bucks seems like a really good price but I am just concerned with what average problems I might be looking at and what that will cost. I had a 95 701 and I have been looking for a good deal on an 1100 for a long time. I want one pretty bad but I don't want to lose the house getting it fixed.

Do not pay a penny over $500.00 for a ski this age. Sounds like a teardown if water was left in the engine. Hard to believe it turns over. Crankshaft should have froze up (rusty) This will no doubt be a project.

+1
    I've got a SUPER clean 95 that I bought and rebuilt with entire new top end, rings, bearings, thrust washers, rebuilt carbs etc etc...eveything works and 100% stock if your looking for a soild Raider 1100

M

Illinois trailer story

Illinois is broke as a joke and I suspect they'll charge you heavily for anything they need to do get you legal.

I have a PWC trailer I purchased from an IL friend a few years ago. Iowa discovered the trailer VIN did not match the registration VIN. The trailer originated in Illinois and had spent it's entire life registered in Illinois with an invalid VIN. I was told to clear up this mess with IL.

When I contacted Illinois, they looked into the error and informed me that the registration history had been wrong from the start. A clerical error in Illinois had been passed down from dealer, to owner, etc.. all in Illinois. Rather than apologize for the typo, Illinois didn’t want to solve the error without an investigation. The entire process was going to be at my expense. I refused to “donate” to state of Illinois bad budgeting by clearing up their error with my cash.

Luckily I just found out that Iowa doesn't bother with these details for trailers under 2000 lbs. Bill of sale is supposed to get me plates. I hope.

mpeavler sent you a pm.

Man, IL sucks pretty bad for stuff. Especially taxes. That's crazy about that trailer.

+1
    responded =0)

Thread Information