Pictures Of Modded Intake Grates For Those Curious To Know

I searched and searched for what the grates are supposed to look like when modded, so i decided to take a picture of 2 grates modded in 2 different ways. The one on the left has bars 1,3, and 5 cut out and smoothed. The one on the right has bars 2, and 4 cut out and smoothed.

I have used both and they both actually work very well and i couldnt tell the differance between the 2 of them. The modded grate made a huge differance in the chop and had alot less cavitation on take off from a dead stop. I just wanted to post this up for anyone wondering how to mod their grate. Also i want to add how the modding was done.

Step 1:Use a hack saw to cut the bars off. you will need to take the blade off and put it through the openings to cut some of the bars depending on how you want the grate.

Step 2:Once the bars are removed use a very coarse file and file the remaining bits of the bars that were not able to be removed with the hack saw. File it until it is almost flush with the stock smooth portions.

Step 3:Use a fine file to file the remaining portion of the bars until it is flush with the flat part.

Step 4:Use some 100 Grit sand paper and sand it till the groves are gone from the file. Then sand with 500 Grit and follow up with 1000 grit.

This is what i did and it worked great. It took about 30 minutes or so to remove each bar. You could also use a dremil tool to make the sanding go faster but it gums up pretty quickly.

I hope this helps those wanting to know how to mod their grate.

LAZ

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Helps me. Thank you sir.

+1
    That is a great help for those with stock grates, thanks for sharing it.

very helpful what way do you think best ?

+1
    For those of you wanting to save time, break out the sawzall! That's what I used for mine held in a vice. Then the best thing is a flap disc that fits on a 4 inch grinder, I didn't have a file.

I did mine with the 2 and 4 bar removed, I wanted to have the three for support, plus it's not quite as open to possibly suck up unwanted junk.

+1
    I did mine last night with a sawzall also. Hardest part was removing the silicone sealant. Can hardly wait to test it out.

What sealant should I use to reseal it and where will I find it?

+1
    Use a Marine grade silicone adhesive [no GE silicone caulk] from West Marine, sometimes Walmart/Home Depot.

why it helps

What is happening is the bars are causing a disturbance of the water flow into the jet drive, and by removing 2 or 3 of the bars you are getting rid of the object that is causing the interruption of flow into the jet drive, that is why there less cavitation on the bottom end and a little bit more speed on the top. Also sharping the leading edge also helps them cut through the water, the ultimate would be no grate at all.

Aurice
    H20 Xtreme Inc
    [email protected]
    h20xtreme.net (up, but still under construction)

+1
    Yea honda sticks the grates on pretty tight... I ended up using my hold down straps hooked through the grate and attached to the trailer while underneith and basically did a pull up for it to bust loose.

Banned User
    the one on the right is alot better

I have used both and they both actually work very well and i couldnt tell the differance between the 2 of them. The modded grate made a huge differance in the chop and had alot less cavitation on take off from a dead stop. I just wanted to post this up for anyone wondering how to mod their grate. Also i want to add how the modding was done.

Step 1:Use a hack saw to cut the bars off. you will need to take the blade off and put it through the openings to cut some of the bars depending on how you want the grate.

Step 2:Once the bars are removed use a very coarse file and file the remaining bits of the bars that were not able to be removed with the hack saw. File it until it is almost flush with the stock smooth portions.

Step 3:Use a fine file to file the remaining portion of the bars until it is flush with the flat part.

Step 4:Use some 100 Grit sand paper and sand it till the groves are gone from the file. Then sand with 500 Grit and follow up with 1000 grit.

This is what i did and it worked great. It took about 30 minutes or so to remove each bar. You could also use a dremil tool to make the sanding go faster but it gums up pretty quickly.

I hope this helps those wanting to know how to mod their grate.

LAZ[/QUOTE]

Thread Information