SL 750 won't plain out

Been messing with a '94 sl 750 the past few days and i got it running. It will run well on the trailer when it isn't under a load but once I get it in the water it won't rev up past 4100-4400 rpms. I pulled the jet pump assembly and it looked okay. I checked fuel lines..vacuum line and fuel pump to make sure they were working properly it does still only have the single outlet pump but I am going to upgrade that here shortly. Im thinking it may have a carb issue...anyone got any ideas?

+1
    Welcome to the hulk! check the compression with your thumb over the spark plug hole while cranking . if any one feels like its doesnt have compression, you may have a hole in 1 of the pistons. they should do 50 MPH. or your carbs and fuel lines need updating along with a triple fuel pump.

do a compession check with a gauge to see whats what. should be around 120-125 if its 110 it will run but its low. 90 is near rebuild time. should be with 5% or so between cylinders to run correctly..

it should also run 6250 at wot.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Make sure the autocock was removed and cap the fittings for it air tight.

Make sure the restrictor is installed in the return hose.

Pic of the autocok and restrictor:

Do a compression test with a gauge. Should be between 100-120 psi with noe more than 10% difference between the cyls.

Get a small flashlight and look at the piston tops for the piston wash. Do a search and read up on this as it's an accurate way to see how the engine is running.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to rebuild the carbsm replace the fuel lines and filters, and prob replace the petcock too.

Try removing the spark plug boots and cutting the wires back about 1/4". Then rescrew the boots back on and re-ziptie the boots.

And just for accuracy, the 750 should turn 6300 RPM at 48 MPH from the factory.

DONT, DONT. PUT THUMB IN PLUG HOLE WHEN CRANKING. PRESSURE CAN PUT AIR IN YOUR BLOOD STREAM AND CAN KILL.

I did do a compression check first and they all were right around 120 psi. I haven't pulled the carbs yet just because the 750s are a pain in the ass to pull..anyone have any good tricks to pull these carbs off by chance? I will check for the petcock tomorrow..if it does have this installed is it possible that this is causing it to only hit 4200 rpms? I was looking at some other threads and some were suggesting that it may be the cdi going out....but said to pull the tan wire going to the cdi in the ebox...but I didn't find this wire going to the cdi..I could only find the tan exhaust temp wire for this ski..is there a different wire I am supposed to pull or is this the correct wire I should unplug and try running for a few minutes to see if it fixes the issue? Also..does anybody by chance have a good fuel triple pump for sale?

+1
    Use a 12mm "stubby" wrench to get the carb nuts off.

Inspect the petcock too, but make sure the auotocock is removed. It was known to cause fuel restrictions and damage pistons. (Polaris bulletin was to remove it)

You don't have limp mode on a 750, so no wire to disconnect. You need to find the cause of this problem. Too much fuel, not enough, etc... Check your piston wash. (do a search)

Contact John Zigler for a new triple outlet fuel pump.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by justfun View Post
    DONT, DONT. PUT THUMB IN PLUG HOLE WHEN CRANKING. PRESSURE CAN PUT AIR IN YOUR BLOOD STREAM AND CAN KILL.

thats only if you have a cut.lol cmon........ i didnt say bolt your thumb to it! just meant you should feel a hard pop coming from the hole..

you have a better chance of getting killed from your gf blowing into your ear! lol

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by polarisrider007 View Post
    I did do a compression check first and they all were right around 120 psi. I haven't pulled the carbs yet just because the 750s are a pain in the ass to pull..anyone have any good tricks to pull these carbs off by chance? I will check for the petcock tomorrow..if it does have this installed is it possible that this is causing it to only hit 4200 rpms? I was looking at some other threads and some were suggesting that it may be the cdi going out....but said to pull the tan wire going to the cdi in the ebox...but I didn't find this wire going to the cdi..I could only find the tan exhaust temp wire for this ski..is there a different wire I am supposed to pull or is this the correct wire I should unplug and try running for a few minutes to see if it fixes the issue? Also..does anybody by chance have a good fuel triple pump for sale?
    if your fuel sender is bad in the tank, it wont go over 4200.. take the float out and check it. float it in water, if it floats halfway its good, if it barely floats or sinks, its junk. get a new one. either the float set up or the fuel sender.. depends what ya got, either one can be checked. the sender has a screw on the bottom of it, take it off and them float slides right out.

the other one is fragile, so articulate it out of the tank carfeully!.. then remove flaot and try it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    if your fuel sender is bad in the tank, it wont go over 4200.. take the float out and check it. float it in water, if it floats halfway its good, if it barely floats or sinks, its junk. get a new one. either the float set up or the fuel sender.. depends what ya got, either one can be checked. the sender has a screw on the bottom of it, take it off and them float slides right out.

the other one is fragile, so articulate it out of the tank carfeully!.. then remove flaot and try it.
    750's don't have "limp mode".

If the floats bad and you want to replace it, that's fine. But ti's not going to solve your problem.

Thread Information