Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SHO or VX110

SHO or VX110

Hi All,

I am from South Africa and looking to purchase a new jet ski...I used to own a Yamaha Blaster 2 before which was recently sold, so i want to upgrade to a 4 stroke and stay with Yamaha.

My main use for the pwc will be dam use and not much sea use. It will be used by the family and to pull a tube occassionaly. I want reliability as I intend to keep the pwc for about 5 years and dont want to spend a lot of money for repairs once the 1-year warranty has expired - not really concerned about speed at this stage.

Pwc's are expensive here and the prices below have been converted to dollars for easy comparison.

I wanted the FX1800HO but most have been sold out but there is a few 2010 models available for $17 222 which is out of my price range.

The HO's have been selling better than the SHO's due to the higher fuel consumption.

There is a special on a 2008 brand new (0 hours) FX1800SHO Cruiser for $14 444 and a 2010 brand new (0 hours) VX110 Deluxe for $11 444.

I would like the SHO but concerned about the reliability once the warranty has expired. I am worried that the engine being new and that the supercharger can break once out of warranty. Is this something to be concerned about? are there any other issues with the SHO?

I know the VX110 is proven for reliablity and uses less fuel as well - also $3000 cheaper - maintenance if something breaks after waranty will be less than the SHO.

Please help - I am confused and not sure what to do!

Thanks.

i will get all the rest i need when im dead corkycat's Avatar
    +1
    sounds to me like you are on a limited budget, get the vx110 rental companies use this ski and clock up massive hrs on them, if your not bothered about speed then this is the ski for you.
    the sho on the other hand will be more fun but watch for the clutch going bang one you start riding it hard. ive got an sho and love it but if i was in your shoes i would be bartering with the dealer on how much for cash i can get the vx for... hope this helps

Thanks for the reply corkycat....I am on a budget but can go max $15300....what's the probability of the supercharger failing on the SHO?
    Was the clutch issue a common problem?

i will get all the rest i need when im dead corkycat's Avatar
    +1
    the supercharger unit itself in stock form is very robust, my ski is off the water at the moment with a blown clutch mine is heavily modified but i do know of clutches going in standard skis, not trying to put you off the sho as its the best ski i have owned, but if you are looking at a ski to keep for the family for 5 years i would be buying the vx110

Thanks...will keep the ski standard....feel better that the supercharger is not such a big issue as I thought it was.....is the clutch a problem or due to hard riding?

Going to have a look at the 2010 VX Deluxe today....was told that the hull changed from 2009....is that true?

+1
    I went to the local yami dealer here in Melbourne and asked them about the SHO superchargers and they said they have one that has 340 hours and the supercharger has not failed on it. Yamaha superchargers are very reliable, with the seadoo superchargers you have to rebuild them every 100 hours.

My opinion is, if you are not pushing it hard, and even if you do, these yamaha SHO's are built to last forever.

Go with the SHO.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TDR View Post
    I went to the local yami dealer here in Melbourne and asked them about the SHO superchargers and they said they have one that has 340 hours and the supercharger has not failed on it. Yamaha superchargers are very reliable, with the seadoo superchargers you have to rebuild them every 100 hours.

My opinion is, if you are not pushing it hard, and even if you do, these yamaha SHO's are built to last forever.

Go with the SHO.
    +1.
    that was my main concern, before i purchased my 08 SHO. I was concerned about the reliability of the 1.8 s.c powerplant, that puppy is rock solid...

Get the VX and take the family somewhere nice with some of the left over money

Buddie the Ho is an awesome ski. If you can rather get the Ho over the Vx. a mate of mine had a Vx for three months and traded up to an Ho. His Ho is not much slower than an Sho. Are you at altitude or not.

The HO is out of my range...the dealer has now raised the price of the VX by $1100...so the SHO is looking better as the price is quite close...anything to be concerned about regarding the SHO?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information