Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1

Yesterday's Ride - Long

Got off work yesterday and promised Amy we'd take the ski's out. So loaded 15 gallons of fuel into the MSX (It was flashing low fuel last time out)and filled the SLT full.

Since it was sorta late (7:00),we dropped in near the house on the Cedar River. We got pounded with rain the day before,the river was up about 3 ft and running at about 15-18 mph So we headed up river to see if we could find some rec property that's for sale north of Vinton.

I've never ran north on this section of winding river. We knew we'd have to watch for floating debris and trees,and the sand bars would be covered. Amy has learned my hand gestures when we get in tight spots or unknown areas,she will tuck in real close on my quarter till we get thru the bad areas.

Most the time we she was running WOT,a steady 48-50 mph on the SLT. We saw some awesome scenery and no one else around. This river is some of the sweetest riding for relaxing.

We arrived at the property and did a drive by. The river was fastest enough, we didn't stop because of trying to find a easy place to beach with the current, so we turned around and started looking for a turn off place to tuck and have a cold one and get rid of the old one.

Finally found were a Creek dumped in, it was now really a river,so we tucked in on top of a grassy bump,that was now 2 foot under water,took a leak,drank a beer and headed out.

One thing on a river,when the sun starts to set,it gets dark quickly. So knowing we were running short on time,we headed out to cover the 26 miles back and it was hammer down again,except this time we had company on the river.

A new hatch of Mayflies was everywhere. So here we are running down river with a 15 mph current,doing WOT. Splatting bugs everywhere on the skis,face and sunglasses. Amy is one of the greatest gals I know,She just keep giving the thumbs up as we blasted towards the landing.

About 10 miles in my Low Fuel light started flashing.(Knowing the SLT can run forever on fuel,I had never told Amy what her red light meant)
    Little did I know that her light had also started flashing on the way back.

It was really dark now wearing the sunglasses. We blew by the 3rd bridge and I was thinking...is that our bridge we were parked just past. About 2 miles farther,I stopped to ask Amy her thoughts..... yep, think that was the one by the landing..... So dark river all looks the same.

So we turned to head back,with my fingers crossed that I'd make it on flumes. Give Amy the OK, and off we go,I point to a floating log for her to avoid,and keep the eyes looking for more problems....look back over my shoulder...and no Amy , WTF, so turning back,I head on a search,as I rounded the bend,I see Amy just floating down the river at 15 MPH....Opps

As I pulled up she says "I was wondering if you was going to come back for me" LOL Seems she had ran out of gas and didn't know about the reserve valve,so we tried to start it a few times and I decided best to hook and tow it back to the landing before we floated 25 miles farther down river.

We arrived at the landing at 9:37,loaded the skis and laughed all the way home about the ride and fun trip it was.

In total we had covered 60+ miles.

+1

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1

Still not sure why you ran out of gas!

+1

sounds like a sweet ride..

but i would think your slt would have been fine running 60 miles on a tank...

+1
    Only thing I can figure is normally when your running around your in and out of the throttle alot,and she was basiclly WOT the whole trip. I figure that might be the wall with 38's running all out.

Also figure it would have been longer traveling time running up river against the heavy current. Wished I had the GPS with me to see how fast the river was flowing,but it was cranking.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    Only thing I can figure is normally when your running around your in and out of the throttle alot,and she was basiclly WOT the whole trip. I figure that might be the wall with 38's running all out.

Also figure it would have been longer traveling time running up river against the heavy current. Wished I had the GPS with me to see how fast the river was flowing,but it was cranking.

that sounds right after thinking about it.. i did not realize it was wot most of the time.. 60 miles sounds about right

+1
    LOST AMY?

4 hours continuesly @ WOT . then your done.. I went from mac n rays in harrison township to algonac state park with my olf gf there n back on 1 tank.. thats about 40-45 miles at 50 mph the whole way with 2 people on it.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Have I told you you how "SMRT" you are lately????

+1
    Well we went and looked at the Lots on the river last night with the guy that are selling them. It's basiclly a campground were you own the property.

We decided to buy at least one and then made a offer on 2 of them side by side.Had to because the price was right. It's a done deal,now own 2 waterfront lots on a side branch of the Cedar River about 100 yards off the main river. Bought them on Land Contract with monthly payments just over the price of a MSX piston and ring set.
    And the island across the little river is owned by the same guy and gave permission to deer and duck hunt it.

So on the non horse riding weekends we'll drive the truck with the truck camper on it and the skis and have a party weekend... Stop by.

Now,were did I see that double jetski lift for sale at?

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=h&lat=42....q1=vinton%2Cia
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	property.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	194380   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	property2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	194381  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information