After Winter - No Gas - Carb Damage ?

I just need some confirmation about something. My ski (GP1200R) was winterized and has been sitting idle, covered and secured for about 8 months. Well, I finally set some time aside to get her cleaned up and to install the wave eater kit (clips / couplers) and also to get the engine running before I take it to the lake.

Well, I had left the gas tank empty during the winter, with about 10L reserve left in it from my last ride. I installed the battery and tried cranking her over at least 6 times, about 5 seconds each crank, with 20 seconds or more rest in between. I figued I could get it running off the reserve gas, then fill it up clean with new feul after.

Well, the engine didn't fire, then realized I had forgot to switch the feul knob to reserve, and did that then choked and primed with the throttle, but still the engine wouldn't fire.

After trying this about 2-4 times, I said, it's probably because there isn't enough feul and decided to leave it until I could do the start up properly. (hardly any time in life lately)

Now I'm worried that I may have damaged the carbs' because the lines were probably dry, and trying to be as realistic as possible (avoiding a carb rebuild) do you think I may have inadvertanly damaged something ? Is there a way to prime the carbs manually, like spray starter feul in them ? Is there a better way to go about starting the engine after sitting for so long ?

*edit - just realized this is in the wrong forum, sorry, my bad.

If it were me, I would put about 5 gallons of fresh premium into the tank change the fuel filter put a little pre mixed into each cyl and fire her up a few times as was said in a couple other threads... It worked for me... Specially after i turned it to on instead of reserve... that would be my frist step after checking for spark... I aslo remember a few people saying they use those primer pumps that are in line. Best of luck!

+1
    you shouldnt have hurt anything by cranking with dry carbs, but if you prime the motor with dry carbs, you run the chance of a lean run-away
    (you dont want this)

I would pull a vacuum on the return line (at the tank) to prime the internals of the carbs with fuel, and try starting it again

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepWave View Post
    I just need some confirmation about something. My ski (GP1200R) was winterized and has been sitting idle, covered and secured for about 8 months. Well, I finally set some time aside to get her cleaned up and to install the wave eater kit (clips / couplers) and also to get the engine running before I take it to the lake.

Well, I had left the gas tank empty during the winter, with about 10L reserve left in it from my last ride. I installed the battery and tried cranking her over at least 6 times, about 5 seconds each crank, with 20 seconds or more rest in between. I figued I could get it running off the reserve gas, then fill it up clean with new feul after.

Well, the engine didn't fire, then realized I had forgot to switch the feul knob to reserve, and did that then choked and primed with the throttle, but still the engine wouldn't fire.

After trying this about 2-4 times, I said, it's probably because there isn't enough feul and decided to leave it until I could do the start up properly. (hardly any time in life lately)

Now I'm worried that I may have damaged the carbs' because the lines were probably dry, and trying to be as realistic as possible (avoiding a carb rebuild) do you think I may have inadvertanly damaged something ? Is there a way to prime the carbs manually, like spray starter feul in them ? Is there a better way to go about starting the engine after sitting for so long ?

*edit - just realized this is in the wrong forum, sorry, my bad.
    When you have it on choke do you also pull the throttle wide open?

I have the same ski and that ski has gone up to a year without being ridden.
    I have found that I need to pull the throttle for about 10 seconds and then chop it after that, while it is on choke. It will then start...for me.
    10 years old and it runs and runs and runs - completely stock.

Seriously, thank you for the good advise here, I will try to follow up with these suggestions tonight and see if I can get her to run finally.

WFO - I will have to consult the service manual to find out which is the feul return line on my ski. I'll have to just cap it with my mouth and pull since I don't have a vacuum pump....yet. So, after having cranked it over at least 15 times now without a start, would the carbs still be dry ? Also, Would priming the motor involve adding a little pre-mix feul into the cylinders because isn't it suggested that you add a teaspoon of oil into the cylinders to winterize to begin with? I know the ski isn't broken.

gmoeller - Yes, I am at full choke and yes I full throttle, but have never tried this chop technique you speak of, I will incorporate all these methods at my next startup session. At least it has fresh feul in the tank now.

Also, just a side note, I checked over my carbs today, after learning a little bit more about this ski and specific mods (only owner for 1 year) and it already has Riva Flame Arrestors installed with splash covers !!! (rode it the entire season last year and didn't know that)

*Guilty of being a fucking newb, but old enough not to care.

+1
    The return line is the one to the front of the carbs, inlet is in rear.

This from an instruction sheet I include with carbs

This is an important step to fill the empty carburetors with fuel. install a piece of ¼” hose to the return to tank line fitting (the one to the front) and run the other end to a small bottle or container. remove all spark plug wires. crank the motor for a bit until I get fuel coming out of the return line. This insures that you have now filled the empty chambers inside the carburetors with fuel. Doing this will keep you from having a lean runaway on initial start up of your ski. Remove the temporary fuel line and install the return to tank line.

tosh.o

That doesn't sound too complicated, excellent write up, I wish I had known this before, lesson learned. Still fairly certain its just me fuckin up the procedure. She will fire up soon, if not, I'll take it down to the water anyways.

Thread Information